So I haven't practiced what I preached over the last year or so and that's "don't do anything major to your tank before you go away". We planned our week vacation in Florida months ago and I had a buyer hot for my 75g the week before we planned to leave.
He wanted to buy it as soon as I broke it down if I could do it before we left. Of course he never called back and bought another tank. So it is with this hobby, but I had the 125 ready to go and so I started. Since it wasn't a 100% new setup and I had everything automated I felt ok about the switch. It took me about 4 days to swap everything out. I had most of the coral in 2 smaller tanks with heaters and an mp10 on each while I swapped out the tanks. The plumbing remained the same just about with only the chiller getting moved over a few feet.
I'll post more pictures later but here is the start to the new tank. I'm not sure what I'm doing with the middle but I am leaving it open for now with the thought of doing a red carpet anemone there. So some info on the switch:
- I lost 2 fish, the last of 3 lyretails of which snapped and had killed the other 2 a month back. I also lost the flame hawk. Both were strange loses considering live rock, flow, temp and old water was used on the "new" tanks for 3 days.
- I've lost my cleaner and peppermint shrimp. Either that or they made it into another tank and I haven't seen them yet.
- I burned my blue sponge up to almost nothing while I was gone. I had it up to high in the rush to get out of town.
- My RBT is super [ tinkle ]ed/stressed. I'm not sure if it's going to pull through.
- I have the power run under the stand now for the most part with individually switched strips. I hope to get a controller late this year.
- I'm getting another radeon next month to replace the marazza p. I'm planning on mounting these on a solid, higher rack finally.
- I'm going to go to a larger DC Reef Octopus skimmer this summer. Looking at a Diablo DCS 170 or 200.
- Once the rock is out of the holding tank I'm going to divide that tank into a frag rack and fuge. The sump will get reworked AGAIN and probably not have a fuge area. This will reduce algae build up in the sump and in the skimmer without the lighting. I'm going to have a sock holder built in and a larger area for the skimmer.
- I'm adding another 20g brute inline with the current brutes for larger water changes.