Best Filter Pads?|

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adacaro

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can any one tell me which are the best filter pad for a bio ball filtration, one that does not tear up when you use the hose pistol to clean it. THANKS.

flter pads should be replaced on a regular basis. I like poly filters or PURA pads.

If you can, try to buy your poly filter material from a Fabric store. I use the poly fill that they use to put in homemade quilts. I bought a blue and white layered piece that was like 1/2" deep and 3 yards of it for about $5 or $6. Same stuff!

I was going to say the same thing, No_Floaters. I buy poly "bedding" at a fabric store too. A $5 bag lasts me almost a year and I change them 1-2 times a week!

Keep in mind that Poly Filter is an actual brand of chemical filtration that absorbs PO4, NH3 and the like from the water. It is far different from the cloth type quilt batting you get at the fabric store.

That's true Lando. When we said poly filters, we were talking about heat-bonded polyester batting that can be used for making filters. It is only for filtering out larger particles and not for treating the water. You can buy a sheet of it big enough to cover a twin bed for about $6.

What about filter bags? what should I use on the 2 overflow outs that you see in this diagram? Also, where can I buy, preferably online. THANKS!

combo-layout.gif

To phyllis: where would I place these filter bags? Would they go over my overflow box tube sponges or perhaps over the upside down "J" tube that exits the bottom of my wet dry and dumps into the return pump?

Since I plan on keeping the sponge block in the wet dry and the 2 tube sponges in the overflow box, , I'd like to deep six the filter pad atop the bio balls (since the balls will be gone sooner or later).

All these filters/sponges/pads seem overkill to me, but matybe I'm wrong.

Getting back to the filter bag, would it stop some of the good things from entering the main? Doesn't the cheato release something good in the water (pods or sonething)?

Spin

Back
Top Bottom