Best way to get crabs out of rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm breaking down my 200g reef and selling it. I"m going to transfer some of the nice pieces to a 72 bowfront and keep that as my only tank.

Anyway.... I know I have a few crabs left that I can never seem to catch. Is carbonated SW dips still the prefered method to remove pests? I want to make sure everything is out before I place the new LR into the 72g tank.

Yeah carbonated SW dips will work, make sure that everything is balanced first. I would also think that this may make anything beneficial in the rock jump ship as well though :cry: ... you may want to try the old inverted bottle trick and see if that works better!

Good Luck!

Jermz

I feel some of you pain. I had to break down a 55 reef for three emeralds that where tearing apart some leather corals. Lots of 5gal buckets and a pair of forceps got them eventually, but I'd rather not have to do that again :evil:

take a glass and tip it against the rock it is in, and bait the bottom... they should go into it for the food and be unable to make it up the slick sides...

Sorry Jamal. Don't know how this one slipped past. Of all the suggestions, I prefer to try and trap them with the glass. It will take time and patience though. You could try the carbonated sw dip. I tried it though to get a mantis and it didn't work. Even the starfish and worms on the rock were unimpressed. The fw dip may do the trick as well but you could loose things on the rock. Good luck.

I did the glass bottle trick and caught both of my emerald crabs (and about 10 hermits) in about 10 minutes. It's the way to go....promise.

I tried the glass bottle tricks for weeks at a time.... it did work on about 6 crabs but there are still more!! I hate florida rock :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom