Best way to perform Water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluejam

Aquarium Advice Regular
My son and I just did our first 15% water change on our 55 yesterday. I hope to make this chore a quick and easy process no matter the cost.
We first syphoned, using one of those clear tubes with a large cylinder to vacuum the sand. It sucked a lot of sand out and I find the cylinder too large to get around the LR.
I then attempted to pump the new water in using a MJ1200. It poured the water in a bit violently w/ tons of bubbles so we resorted to using a pitcher.
We don't have fish yet and glad. I think they would have freaked out.
I would think there would be a good tool for this simple(?) operation but all I see are clear tubes.
How do you do yours?

I use a python which is a gravel vaccum. It can either connect to a hose outside or a faucet in the house depending on where your aquarium is in the house.

I have a piece of water hose hooked up to a mj1200. I point the end of the hose at the wall of the tank about 2" below the water line. It hits the glass and spreads from there. I never have a prob with bubbles. I took that big end off of the gravel vacuum you said you have and I put it on the piece of water hose. That gives it a wider place to dispel when it hits the glass. I do not however vacuum the gravel with it. My complete water change on a 90g takes about 15 minutes.

I use a mag 7 to piump in 15gal of water in my 72 when I do water changes. No need to vac the sand, you will just end up loosing a lot of it. IF you have CC substrate it does need a good vacuuming every couple of weeks.

cheap is the way to go

Use one of those cheap ones with a big tube, that goes into alittle tube. it doesnt matter what type of tank you have. If you are cleaning sand and gravel, once the gravel or sand gets to top, tweak the hose, it will go back down, and the dirt will go through. You get the siphoning going by sucking on the end of the tube that will go into the bucket. make sure not to suck to hard, lol. Your mouth will get the taste of nasty water. You dont always need the most expensive thing. Just things that work.

unless you have a fresh water tank, why would you hook up to the faucet?
Some siphon systems use the faucet to create pressure and draw the water from the tank. This alows for pulling water long distances and even slightly uphill.

Hmmmmm ... never thought about putting a MJ in my 5 gallon buckets and shooting the water back in!!!!! I have been lifting 5 gallons of saltwater above my shoulders to dump it in .... Ha what a doof 8O :lol: !!!

5gal of SW = ~45lbs ..... :shocked!:

i just use a hose and a small pump..turn it on and wallaaa..i have CC in one of my tanks and you do need to stick the hose in the substrate and stir it up every 2 weeks or so..

I have a 75 and do a 4 Gal. chg every 2 weeks which = a little more than 10% p/month. It takes me about 5 minutes. I siphon out 4 gal. into a bucket. (rinse any equipment that needs cleaning in this water) Then I just keep 1 gal. jugs of premade salt water and pour into tank 1 gal. at a time. If I feel like it I will do a change every weekend it is so easy. 8) As for gravel cleaning, get a skinnier tube, which is also good fot the LR if needed.

My rubbermaid tub sits upstairs with a heater and air pump. It has a bulkhead with a valve on it with enough hose to reach my tank. I use a python to get water out and then let gravity put it back in.

Back
Top Bottom