Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-25-2014, 01:33 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thursday Dec. 25 (10:00 am). After 12 hours of using Bio Spira. Checked the water. Ammonia 1 ppm, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 40 ppm. Looks like things are going good.
Thursday Dec. 25 (12:00 pm). Dosed 1 ml of ammonia to raise it to 2 ppm.

If it again goes down to 0 by tomorrow. I am planning to do a 10 % (10 gallon) water change. Place my first pair of ocellaris clownfish in.

Suggestions/comments?

Old 12-25-2014, 04:58 PM   #32
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

If you hit 0 ammonia and nitrite tomorrow, that is a great plan and exactly what I would suggest. The water change may or may not be large enough depending on what the nitrate level is, so I would leave that open. I always say a 50% water change simply because the math is easy...40 nitrate becomes 20 nitrate. But I'm sure you get the idea.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 05:45 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Regular

The problem is I only have 10 gallons of RO water available
Old 12-25-2014, 05:48 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Regular

Is it possible to use one of those API water conditioner to fix tap water and use that? I have one sample lying around that can condition 10 gallons more
Old 12-25-2014, 09:11 PM   #35
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Conditioner doesn't fix the things that come into tap water. Your tap water could be bringing in higher nitrates than you are removing! So don't waste your time with tap water. Just do what you can with the ro/di.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 10:07 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Regular

One more question. If I get fish from my lfs and if he says that the fish were with him for so many weeks and yada yada yada, should I still quarantine the fish. The reason I am asking is that I do not have any qt setup.

Sent from my ME302C using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 12-25-2014, 10:08 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssky View Post
One more question. If I get fish from my lfs and if he says that the fish were with him for so many weeks and yada yada yada, should I still quarantine the fish. The reason I am asking is that I do not have any qt setup.

Yes, always always quarantine fish. Most lfs ranks will have active ich infections regardless if you can see it or not.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:22 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Regular

I dosed this morning to 4 ppm ammonia. I wss wrong when I wrote my morning report.
Thursday Dec 25 (10.00 pm). Could n't wait and tested again. Ammonia is down to 2ppm, Nitrite .25 ppm, Nitrates 40 ppm.

I will check one more time in the morning and if parameters are good, then water change and fish..

Wish me good luck guys.

I don't know what am I gonna do with the qt setup. I don't have anything to use it as qt. Not happy. Any suggestions????

Old 12-26-2014, 01:31 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Regular

Friday Dec 26. Ammonia is down to .25 ppm may be zero can't distinguish clearly. Nitrites is also 0.25 ish, nitrates at 20-40 ppm.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:04 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssky View Post
I dosed this morning to 4 ppm ammonia. I wss wrong when I wrote my morning report.
Thursday Dec 25 (10.00 pm). Could n't wait and tested again. Ammonia is down to 2ppm, Nitrite .25 ppm, Nitrates 40 ppm.

I will check one more time in the morning and if parameters are good, then water change and fish..

Wish me good luck guys.

I don't know what am I gonna do with the qt setup. I don't have anything to use it as qt. Not happy. Any suggestions????

In a pinch a QT tank can be made out of a rubbermaid tote. The problem is you can't see the fish, but it's better than nothing.

Tags
bio

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com