Bio spira

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bulldog39

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been cycling my tank for a few weeks. My ammonia and nitrite has been at zero for a week. I have a outbreak of green hair algae and can't get my nitrates to go below 20ppm. I have live rock from the gulf and dry cycled rock in the tank. Will bio spira help get my nitrates down so I can get a clean up crew? I have done two 50% water changes on my tank and even changed my filter sock twice.

is your cycle complete did you see a rise before ammonia dissipated , if you answer yes
you can do a few large water changes over the next few days to bring down the nitrates
Edit :
didn't catch you did 2 50% water changes are you using RO/DI water or tap
check your water source that may be the issue

Last edited:
Ro water that is at 0 still. Will the algae do it?

you have a source of nutrients in your tanks water column you need to figure out where its coming from when you see one or both nitrates and phosphates that's the nutrients fueling the algae
is there any stock yet if so are you over feeding
do you have a skimmer that will help some
water flow good circulation can also help

Last edited:
No stock yet and just started my skimmer yesterday. I did buy some rock from gulf rock that probably had some die off. Been in thier for about 4 days. Was thinking some snails and crabs would do both eat algae and what ever it is. Not sure if that will work?

The cycle is the source of the nutrients. If it isn’t complete simply turn the lights off. Scrub off what you can and pick up with the water changes when your cycle is complete.

Ok thanks. Will this hurt any of the corals or the clam that is on the rock?

I have no ammonia or nitrite. Haven't for over a week just nitrate.

this is a tank I put together back in 2013 I made the mistake of tearing it down I miss it , as it was one of my better macro tanks everything thrived ,
img_2415715_0_8b5ea3afe6edb383c040eee8b3371a3e.jpg

I believe you got your rock from the same place I did , I had all kinds of goodies even a few nice lps corals , every thing made it through the cycle just fine high nitrates and phosphates will effect how the coral and macros look but they will recover once you get things right

be sure you check your test kit you may have a bad bottle of regent that causes false readings . I recently had that issue with a bottle of regent my nirates were a 0ppm but my phosphates were over 10ppm , I knew this wasn't right as I did over 200g of water changes in a week , I was removing all my sand and replaced with new .

I borrowed a test kit from a friend found my reading was off by a long shot actually had ,25 ppm nothing to stress about . that's about normal for all my tanks

Last edited:
Nice tank and thanks. Just bought some crabs to help with algae and see if they find anything dying that might be causing some nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom