Black sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone know where to get it fairly cheap? Is it good/bad/the same as PFS or live sand??? I am just a dark kinda guy I guess. I like the contrast.

EDIT: I just searched for pics of black sand aquariums and I donno if I like it as well as I thought. It just looks fake...

u can go for live sand, your sand in the tank will becom life when your tank mature.
live sand n live rocks will help cycling.

I wouldn't do it. People can, but people don't. Also, skip the bagged live sand as obviously it's not live after being on the shelves for so long. Just go to your LFS and ask them to give you a couple scoops of their live sand, and then that will be better off seeding your sand/rock rather than a hit or miss from bagged live sand.

If you want to go cheap, try black bllasting grit. It is cheap (3M colour quartz isn't), so if you don't like it you've only spent around $10.00 for an 88lb bag. I have never seen a SW tank with dark substrate. however, i would think it would be a natural look in Hawaii.

I`ve seen a few with black sand and all the owners said they did not like it. Said it looked dirty all the time. Their experience is good enough for me.

I also think that black sand would not add any calcium to help buffer a SW tank. Also who knows what's in black sand. minerals and metals that is.

Back
Top Bottom