black sea horses starting tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrisgaucher

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im thinking about doing my first saltwater tank! i have noclue how to start it up. my lfs has black sea horses which are so cool and breed alot i heard. I want to get some of those and put them in it. I need to know how much all this would cost if anyone could just give me prices on all the different stuff. And some background on the black seahorses and if they are good for a beginner. Im really good with my freshwater tanks but i want to take it to the next level

Sorry, but going from FW to seahorses is a little beyond "taking it to the next level"...... As far as seahorses go, even the easier to care for ones are not beginner creatures, espcially for someone who has never dealt with the ins-and-outs of basic saltwater care. Not saying it isn't possible, but you'd have a very steep learning curve in order to give them proper care.....

There's lots of good starter fish..... but it's a bit different than keeping a FW community tank. Many (most) SW fish require larger tanks than things like small tetras. What size tank are you looking at? If you can go 30g or larger, you really begin to open up more possibilities......

A 29g is a good tank for sea horses because of the added height. I would have to agree with everyone else though about sea horses being for the more experienced hobbyist. They have very demanding eating habits and very sensitive to water conditions. If you go with a 29g you can get it up and running with other stuff then in time switch it over to sea horses.

I think thats what i will do. But whats a good easy sw fish to start with?

Clowns are popular. Avoid damsels cause they are just mean. Dart fish are also good picks, a common and pretty variety is the firefish. Also if you want to do corals you are limited. Stick to stuff like leathers, mushrooms and zoas as they will be safe for sea horses when you switch, plus it's less light demanding. Also look at running a sump, nothing big but it will allow you a place to run a skimmer and cut down on bubbles in the water (bubbles are bad for seahorses) plus you can keep heaters in there and prevent seahorses from burning themselves. Seahorses are stupid so you basically have to set the tank up to accommodate that.

I really like firefish. I think im going to put live rock in and idk for the corals yet. But i just need help with the whole filtration and water thing. That part confuses me. At my lfs they sell like boxes of sw can i just use that? And what do i use for sand?

If you get firefish, get purple firefish. Regular firefish are sketchy they hide all the time. I made a mistake of getting two regulars. I barely see them and when i do they dissapear in a instant

Go one pound of live rock and one pound of live sand fo each gallon your tank holds. This is the mininum requirement. More live rock is ok as well as both will be your biological filter

okay thanks. How many should i get for my 30 gal? and would a canister filter work? And is it possible to make your own sump?

Making your own sump is very possible and easy. If you put a refugium in the sump it will also give you a spot for extra rock and sand plus help with keeping nitrates down and the copepod population up (seahorses eat copepods). The other nice thing is it adds water volume to the system which adds some stability which is also important. I set up a sump out of a 55g tank for my 90g but you don't need that much. If you got a 15g long tank you would be set. You just need baffles to silicone into it. NOTE if you use an acrylic tank you should use acrylic baffles, glass tank should have glass baffles. Baffles are just dividers between the sections, there are typically three sections. The first is where the tank water enters the sump and is also where the skimmer is usually located. The second section is the refugium section. This section is where the live rock and live sand go along with some chaeto algae typically. The third section is the return section where your return pump is located that pumps water back up to the tank. So typically there are 2 baffle sets, one of the sets is made from just one piece of glass. The other baffle is actually made up of 3 pieces of glass laid out in such a way to remove bubbles from the water from the drain and skimmer. It's hard to explain and easier to understand if you look it up online, it's called a bubble trap oddly enough. I would seriously recommend doing the sump route as its going to be way better in the long run and will probably be cheaper than a canister filter. One last note from experience, with the baffles keep in mind water runs downhill. The baffle between sections 1&2 should be the tallest, then they get gradually shorter as you move towards the return. Also you don't need to use "aquarium" silicone. GE II 100% silicone for windows and doors- make sure it doesn't have mildew resistance and your set. If you want to check out my 90g build thread and you can see how a sump is typically laid out.

Okay that helped out alot! and i have a 10 gal will that be enough? and i have used that silicone before which is good. Very helpful thank you! im definetely doing tons more research before i actually set it up this summer

Oh and one more thing, GOOGLE. Do a google search on anything and everything, knowledge is power. I only say google because it can respond faster than it may take on here for someone to reply. If you have time to wait for a reply this is your best bet but if your at your LFS staring at something you can do a quick google search right then and there. Edit- you posted a reply while I was posting lol. A 10g would work but it limits you for space a little more. A 15g is the same but slightly longer.

Okay thnks a bunch! Thankfully i live right near krystal clear aquatics a very popular new england fishstore. They are a big help soi wont be screwing any of thisup i hope! thanks a bunch!

Back
Top Bottom