Bristle worm!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The-new-stig

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I now bristle worms are fine in small numbers as they help keep the tank clean but I have a clean up crew of hermets, snails and shrimp but the bristle worms are taking over..

So I was wondering if anybody nows how to rid them COMPLETELY..

All info and methods welcome

Cheers

The only way that is practical without buying a fish to eat them is to trap them. :) They make bristleworm traps or you could make your own.

I believe there are fish that eat them BUT if you run out of bristle worms then they starve so I think that option is out. lol

I don't know if this is an option or not but you could get all base rock, and dry sand to start your tank over. You won't be able to have coral since most corals I have bought has had bristle worms hanging out in them it seems. There are no fish that will make your tank 100% bristle worm free so either you will end up starring from scratch or live with them.

I think the fish would be a good option.. I don't want to start over as it's a perfect set up at the moment.. So does any body now what fish I could use to eat them..

The reason why your bristleworms are doing so well is because there is so much food for them! They are a part of your cleanup crew, just like the others. They just aren't so cute. I had a 12 inch bristleworm in my 55gal 6 years ago. Let them go (do you really ever see them?).

Well here is something for you to use :) compliments of yours truly.

Get a pvc pipe with a cap for one end (or two). Either cap both sides or one side and saran wrap the other. Drill a small hole into the end of the cap in the center or whatever.

So you pretty much place some food inside the pvc pipe and bury it up to the hole near the rocks or wherever the worms are. The theory is they will crawl into the hole that is on level ground with them and fall down and not be able to get out. Should help you out in getting rid of bristleworms.

i hate bristleworms

The only time I see my bristle worms is when I actually feed the tank. I usually feed small amounts which the fish consume in less than a minute. When I feed the tank it is enough for the corals and everything to eat so it is enough to last about 10 minutes.

I also have a bristle worm that is about 8 inches I didn't see it this week when I fed the tank I hope it is ok.

Back
Top Bottom