Brown Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e_dub

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just set my saltwater LRFO tank up about 2 weeks ago. I am starting to get the brown algae. How long does it normally last for?

Brown algae aka diatoms it's normal for a new tank. Has your tank finished its cycle yet? If so, you can start adding up your clean up crews (CUC) such as nassarius, astrea, turbo or margarita snails and some hermit crabs. Once you put CUC in, the brown algae will start to diminish by itself.

I believe so. The ammonia spiked a couple of days ago. the ammonia is down to about zero now. And now the nitrites is almost undetectable. I have four fish and about 7 hermit crabs in there now. It also looks like i am getting some hair algae too. Is that common this early?

you really should have read up on fishless cycling before you started up... but anyways i got hair algae before my cycle completed... about the time that my ammonia fell and my nitrites rose..... i really dont know if inverts can stand the jumps in levels like that... someone else might be able to chime in about that.

-Brad

I started the cycle before i had fish. i put them in when i put in the cured live rock

i had the salt water by itself for like 2 days then cycled it with live sand for about a week then put in the live rock and 4 fish. is that bad?

i really have problems believing that the tank cycled with live sand alone. in a week. as my grandpa always told me. "almost only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades" any ammonia and any nitrites is too much. how did you cycled the tank prior to adding the rock.

-Brad

Ok. You make it seem like im a horrible person. I am obviously new at this. I am just doing what the person and the pet shop i went to told me to do. She was recomended from someone who was a reef tank thats been going for a couple years now.

the fish are fine. They are eating and swimming around as if nothing is wrong. and so are the hermits.

sorry not trying to come off as a jerk or anything. im just having trouble understanding your tank situation.

how did you cycle your tank?

I filled my tank with water. its a 95 gallon tank with a wet dry filter. put in about 25 lbs of sea salt. let it go for 24 hours to heat up and mix. next day put in live sand after i check the sg which was 1.022. let it cycle for a week. then a week later got cured live rock and 4 fish. and 4 or 5 hermits. i checked the ammonia and it was fine. it did spike though when i put in the rock. it only lasted for a day.

i thought the live sand would produce ammonia. if not then without knowing i cycled my tank with the fish. This is my first tank. i didn't know.

Back
Top Bottom