Brown stuff on live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ncscuba

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
20141123_183703_resized.jpgNoticed this brown stuff on my live rock a yesterday. Seems to be slowly spreading. Any ideas to what it is and if its bad how to get rid of it?

Tank was cycled and fish have been in there about 2 weeks.

Yeah, I have that on my rocks and on the bottom on my glass near the sand. Snails have been making quick work of it since I got a small cleanup crew this week!

Plan on getting a few more snails :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They will also go away in time.. They feed on the silicates from you sand and rock

@Jingleheimer How many and what kind of snails/cuc are you using?

@Jingleheimer How many and what kind of snails/cuc are you using?

I just started off with 10 snails. I have a 46 gal bowfront w/about 60 lbs live rock.

I have Nerite snails, mexican turbo snails and Nassarius snails for now. I was told to get different kinds as they will eat different types of algae

thanks. Those were the type of snails I was looking at too.

Dumb question but what do they eat after the algae is gone?

They'll eat left over food and fish waste.

That's why I was told to get a few see how they do. If I need more get more. No point in getting 50 snails if you don't need them!

The Nerite and Turbos will eat algae, the Nassarius are carnivorous and will eat uneaten food in the substrate as well as voraciously go after whatever food you put in the tank.

To make sure they don't starve, I target feed mine (4 of them) about every two weeks with a small piece of fish. I wait until they come out very active at feeding, they don't always come out every feeding. Then I take a small piece of fish/scallop/mussel and hold it next to them with tweezers until they grab it.
It is astonishing how much one of those guys can consume.
They are also good to have because they stir up the substrate.

I also use Hikari sinking algae wafers to help supplement the algae eaters in the tank. All the crabs love them.

Back
Top Bottom