Buying saltwater fish online?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fun

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So a few years ago I started my first saltwater aquarium. Due to the lack of saltwater fish availabilty in my area I had to stop running my aquarium. The local pet store use to have a great selection but then things went downhill. I now discovered online fish buying and was just wondering is it safe to buy fish online and how do they send you fish/corals if I live in a small rural town?

Thanks for helping :)

Welcome to the forum!

I've purchased three times from online retailers. The first time everything was fine and alive. The second time I lost some shrimp in transit adn the 3rd time the fish were fine.

They will send the fish next day air usually, I get mine around 10 am the day after they ship

Hello! Welcome!
I almost exclusively buy online. I have only had one item die. Like Carey it was a shrimp. However, the guarantee was fantastic! I usually get from liveaquaria and they give 2 weeks and you don't have to send the deceased and a water sample back. Of course with anything online, just be cautious and use a reputable co. On the same note has anyone utilized a company called ORA?

I think only retailers can buy direct from ORA. You can find alot of online stores that carry ORA or have your lfs order them like I did

Do most sites usually ship to rural areas?

Yup ups does. Thanks for the advice, appreciate it. Also when I do receive my fish what do I do with it before I put it in my tank? Sorry it's been awhile

Acclimate them. You float the bags to temp acclimate and then out them in a bucket or other container and do a drip acclimation. Where only a little bit of your tank water is introduced at a time. I do mine over an hour for fish and for over 2 hours for shrimp.

Ok I understand. When you float the bags on top you leave them there for an hour, then you do the drip acclimation for an hour? (fish)

Fun said:
Ok I understand. When you float the bags on top you leave them there for an hour, then you do the drip acclimation for an hour? (fish)

Leave the bags for 15-20 min, then drip them. Make sure you turn the lights off to avoid shock.

Back
Top Bottom