Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-05-2005, 07:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Can i put my sump through a wall, in the garage?

i was thinking about moving my tank, to another wall in my house. Right now theres barely any working room in the stand to do stuff to the sump, i fit it in b4 the tank was on the stand, from the back. Theres no way to removed the sump, unless the tank is pulled.

I was thinking about moving it another wall, and i can run the plumbing through the wall to the other side which is my garage and have my sump in there.

any problems you think doing that? The garage isnt air conditioned, i imagine it gets around 85+ in there. I was going to have a couple fans mounted on the sump in there to keep it cool hopefully.

Also. from the overflow- it has tubing currently that the water drains into the sump.

if i made it into hardline pvc, and put and elbow to go through the wall. Do you think it will be too much restriction at all? instead of just flowing down like b4?

I really liked the idea of the garage deal, would give me total access to the sump, as well as quiet down the tank alot.

sorry for the long post tho, thanks in advance!

Jay D

1 Blue tail Damsel(sad that he's goin back too )
1 TR Percula Clown
1 Cleaner shrimp
2 Peppermint shrimps
2 Emerald crabs(3rd went back to LFS)
10 blue legged hermits
15 astrea snails
bawla47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 12:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would think you could do it. With the fans you will get a LOT more evaporation so an auto top off will most likely be necessary. As for the 90's you should be fine but you could go to the electrical section of Home Depot/Lowes and get the grey schedule 80 conduit 90's since they are a long sweep they will not restirct the flow as much. Hope this helps.

Old 06-06-2005, 01:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Garages typically hold heat better then insulated houses. Especially living in FL unless you garage is air conditioned. Also, i would suggest building a cabinet in the garage special to fit the sump ( to avoid dropping any sort of chemical or dust/debris into the sump ) It could be done. Make sure you get a strong enough return pump.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

yea, being that ill have more space, im defininately going to setup and auto top off. and being in the garage, i can prob just set my ro/di system up(when i get it) to top off and turn off with a float valve.

good idea for the electrical 90. they make them curved well so wire can pass through the bends. im going to do that, or maybe a 45 degree piece and drill 1 hole lower.

I currently have a mag 7, but i think cuz theres goin to be a 1-2 more feet more, i might bump it up to a 9.5.

thanks for the posts!
JayD

1 Blue tail Damsel(sad that he's goin back too )
1 TR Percula Clown
1 Cleaner shrimp
2 Peppermint shrimps
2 Emerald crabs(3rd went back to LFS)
10 blue legged hermits
15 astrea snails
bawla47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sump, wall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com