Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-21-2009, 08:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can I start Cycling my tank now?

Hi Everyone
I have almost everything to start cycling my tank except the live rock. I want the members opinions on starting the cycling process with out the LR? I'm planning on ordering the live rock today and base rock today then add them when i receive the shipment. On an other note, Is it a good idea to cure the rock in a tank that is cycling? Sorry but I'm anxious and want to start up mu 120. Thanx.:p

Old 06-21-2009, 08:10 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

InferoST,

About 6 months ago I had the same question; everyone on the forum told me to wait, best advise I ever listen too!

Old 06-21-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikey View Post
InferoST,

About 6 months ago I had the same question; everyone on the forum told me to wait, best advise I ever listen too!
spikey
They wanted for you to get the LR first?
Old 06-21-2009, 09:32 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes, The idea is to set the tank up with rock and substrate which will aid in the cycling process. If you add things there will always be some organic load (dead material) that will increase the ammonia levels and 'start a new cycling process'. I say start another cycling process as I don't know how to say it another way. Cycling is just the formation of 3 types of bacteria, and that is why it takes time. Every time you add decaying material (live rock has live and dead thing on it).
Old 06-21-2009, 10:21 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikey View Post
Yes, The idea is to set the tank up with rock and substrate which will aid in the cycling process. If you add things there will always be some organic load (dead material) that will increase the ammonia levels and 'start a new cycling process'. I say start another cycling process as I don't know how to say it another way. Cycling is just the formation of 3 types of bacteria, and that is why it takes time. Every time you add decaying material (live rock has live and dead thing on it).
Good info, it's only a week or so away, I've waited this long a little longer wont kill me but my two girls want nemo NOW!!!!!! I wont give into them. I just filled the tank for the first time to test run the filter (to make sure it wasn't broken in shipping), check for leaks (better not leak it's brand new). So far all is good. I'm going to let it run for a couple of hours then drain/clean and cover till i get the rock.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree, if you order LR, there will be lots of die-off since it has been out of water and subjected to different temp during shipping. This could cause another mini cycle. My suggestion would be order about 25% LR and 75% base rock. You are really looking for the coreline/critters on the LR to seed the base...so you may not even need that much.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:52 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64 View Post
I agree, if you order LR, there will be lots of die-off since it has been out of water and subjected to different temp during shipping. This could cause another mini cycle. My suggestion would be order about 25% LR and 75% base rock. You are really looking for the coreline/critters on the LR to seed the base...so you may not even need that much.
Cool, so for my 120 if get 30 lbs of live and say 50 base this would be a good start?
Old 06-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

If you are wanting to do something you could get your Saltwater in the tank to get it up to temp and make sure it is at the right salinity.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Inferno, you could probably even go with less LR and more base....If you have a LFS nearby, you can add LR a little at a time, the die-off from the LFS to your house (assuming it is not a long drive) will be little to none....or you could make your own rock:
DIY Live Rock

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:59 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to divedeep1689
or you could make your own rock:
DIY Live Rock[/quote]

And thier are plenty of people here who can help you make your own live rock not many people have heard about it but it works great most of your public aquariums do this like the atlanta georgia aquarium and when i went there i could not tell it was diy rock. so i am with roka just get a few pounds of live rock from your store and try making your own.

special thanks to melosu58 , roka , thincat,CaptainAhab (and many more who i will list later as i find thier names so i can spell them lol ) for i would not have the tank or the knowledge i have about my tank if not for them.
divedeep1689 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycling, start, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com