Can I start Cycling my tank now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InfernoST

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi Everyone
I have almost everything to start cycling my tank except the live rock. I want the members opinions on starting the cycling process with out the LR? I'm planning on ordering the live rock today and base rock today then add them when i receive the shipment. On an other note, Is it a good idea to cure the rock in a tank that is cycling? Sorry but I'm anxious and want to start up mu 120. Thanx.:p

InferoST,

About 6 months ago I had the same question; everyone on the forum told me to wait, best advise I ever listen too!

Yes, The idea is to set the tank up with rock and substrate which will aid in the cycling process. If you add things there will always be some organic load (dead material) that will increase the ammonia levels and 'start a new cycling process'. I say start another cycling process as I don't know how to say it another way. Cycling is just the formation of 3 types of bacteria, and that is why it takes time. Every time you add decaying material (live rock has live and dead thing on it).

Yes, The idea is to set the tank up with rock and substrate which will aid in the cycling process. If you add things there will always be some organic load (dead material) that will increase the ammonia levels and 'start a new cycling process'. I say start another cycling process as I don't know how to say it another way. Cycling is just the formation of 3 types of bacteria, and that is why it takes time. Every time you add decaying material (live rock has live and dead thing on it).
Good info, it's only a week or so away, I've waited this long a little longer wont kill me but my two girls want nemo NOW!!!!!! I wont give into them:rolleyes:. I just filled the tank for the first time to test run the filter (to make sure it wasn't broken in shipping), check for leaks (better not leak it's brand new). So far all is good. I'm going to let it run for a couple of hours then drain/clean and cover till i get the rock.

I agree, if you order LR, there will be lots of die-off since it has been out of water and subjected to different temp during shipping. This could cause another mini cycle. My suggestion would be order about 25% LR and 75% base rock. You are really looking for the coreline/critters on the LR to seed the base...so you may not even need that much.

I agree, if you order LR, there will be lots of die-off since it has been out of water and subjected to different temp during shipping. This could cause another mini cycle. My suggestion would be order about 25% LR and 75% base rock. You are really looking for the coreline/critters on the LR to seed the base...so you may not even need that much.
Cool, so for my 120 if get 30 lbs of live and say 50 base this would be a good start?

If you are wanting to do something you could get your Saltwater in the tank to get it up to temp and make sure it is at the right salinity.

or you could make your own rock:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/diy-live-rock-115686.html[/quote]

And thier are plenty of people here who can help you make your own live rock not many people have heard about it but it works great most of your public aquariums do this like the atlanta georgia aquarium and when i went there i could not tell it was diy rock. so i am with roka just get a few pounds of live rock from your store and try making your own.

If you are wanting to do something you could get your Saltwater in the tank to get it up to temp and make sure it is at the right salinity.
So, i can clean the aragonite, fill the tank with water get the salinity to where it has to be, start up the filter but don't start cycle till i get the some base and LR.

Inferno, you could probably even go with less LR and more base....If you have a LFS nearby, you can add LR a little at a time, the die-off from the LFS to your house (assuming it is not a long drive) will be little to none....or you could make your own rock:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/diy-live-rock-115686.html
I wish I had the time to make it myself, I've got two girls 5 and 3 plus the wife if you know what i mean. I've followed the thread and found pretty cool.

Hmmm, sounds like the making your own rock could be a great family "adventure"....
You can start the cycle if you like, the filter will start cultivating the bacteria and when you add the LR, it might help with the die-off. It really doesn't matter either way since you are getting the LR shipped, there will be die-off regardless.

Hmmm, sounds like the making your own rock could be a great family "adventure"....
You can start the cycle if you like, the filter will start cultivating the bacteria and when you add the LR, it might help with the die-off. It really doesn't matter either way since you are getting the LR shipped, there will be die-off regardless.
Cool:flasingsmile:
Then I'll order the stuff and get on the other preparations done.

Just make sure that when you get the LR you get the first layer (lack of better word) down to the glass so that if you get a gobie you won't get a landslide when he tries to dig under your rockwork.

Just make sure that when you get the LR you get the first layer (lack of better word) down to the glass so that if you get a gobie you won't get a landslide when he tries to dig under your rockwork.
It's funny you say that, My cichlids did just that and 2 of them perished, it happened over night and I found the 2 under the 20 lb rock. Advice very well received. Thanx, i almost forgot about that for the new tank.

I think I would wait about putting in the sand. If you put it in to start with = sandstorm, then moving it around for rock = sandstorm. That will put more stress on your filter. I have read a lot about people starting rock work then pouring the sand around it. This seems to make a lot of sense. IMO

I've done it both ways and no matter what, you still get a sand storm...lol.

Back
Top Bottom