Can't get sump pump balanced

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kristy3693

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! I bought a 120 gal off Craig's list with a 55 gal sump. I can't get my intake to balance with the return. The intake has an adjustable valve, and the return pump is run through a light dimmer. Still, I have been tinkering with it for days. The water is always raising or lowering. I can't get it balanced. Please help!

Sound like a different setup.
The pump should just be on or off. Not dimmed for flow.
The overflow drain should keep the tank level at the top of the standpipe if it's drilled or the job overflow if you have that.
Pics of your setup will help.

I will have to get you some pics. It is quite the different set up. I might have to buy a new pump.

Get some pics because something is off.. adjusting valves can be a pain but not that difficult.. get some pics so we have an idea of what your looking at

You should never restrict the drain. Leave that wide open. Only make adjustments with the return.

Is that a metal valve in the mix? That must be removed. No metal plumbing in a salt water setup!

Ya know, I was thinking that too about the metal valve. But the guy had it up and running that way. Did you see the metal clams on the return pump also?

Thank you Doug, also I read on another thread that you said maroon clowns are mean. This tank i got off Craig's list came with a mated pair. They are waiting in my QT tank until my DT is ready. So they were also going to be the first fish. Is this a bad idea? The female is pretty big, at least 3 inch, her man is little.

I'd swap out the metal valve and clamps too.
There is no cover on the side drain??? And the return comes over the top into the power head, right?
If you replace the metal gate valve with a plastic one, good. But keep the ball valve as well. Plastic gate valves are good at regulating flow, but bad at shutting it right off.

The maroons are quite territorial, but a mated pair is worth money. It's up to you, but they do get to about 5" and may not let anything else near their side of the tank. I prefer the percula and ocellaris clowns, because they stay somewhat small.

Maybe I should trade them in for a different mated pair. I am a little attached, I named them Vern and Shirley. Well, I will just have to think some more while I fix my sump.

I think I figured out the problem. The intake is siphoning, not spilling over like an overflow box. If I convert it to an overflow box, the sump flow will and the overflow will follow suit.

Now, how the heck yo I attach an overflow box. Can anyone show me pictures of a non-drilled set up with a hob overflow box.

Then I wouldn't need that metal valve. Thanks for the help!

You should never restrict the drain. Leave that wide open. Only make adjustments with the return.

Is that a metal valve in the mix? That must be removed. No metal plumbing in a salt water setup!
agree 100% it makes things more dificult as you can get turbulance or not enough air behind the drain

I think I figured out the problem. The intake is siphoning, not spilling over like an overflow box. If I convert it to an overflow box, the sump flow will and the overflow will follow suit.

Now, how the heck yo I attach an overflow box. Can anyone show me pictures of a non-drilled set up with a hob overflow box.

Then I wouldn't need that metal valve. Thanks for the help!
CPR CS Overflow Boxes

you need somethign liek this, its a hang on back overflow box, it does its own siphon as the water falls

I have a eshopps 800 with mag 7 no problems and always starts back up after wc.

Attachments

• image-1349982273.jpg
    image-1349982273.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 76
  • image-3069301086.jpg
    image-3069301086.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 68
Box is about half full,flow is good and pump is wide open. Try opening your pump up and that will raise tank level which will increase flow through box.my black box(weirs) slots for water to go thru are half way under water.

Attachments

• image-151651688.jpg
    image-151651688.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 57
Back
Top Bottom