Carey's 90g FOWLR Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
carey said:
I know this is off topic mods, just one question! LOL

How many songs can you fit on an 8gb ipod? I started with the cheapest model before I go crazy with it to just feel it out.

I believe that it is about 2,000 songs (after a bit of research. I thought I knew, but it turns out what I thought was wrong. Lol)

Thanks, I've been trying to find that answer for a few days but couldnt. lol

In retrospect I should have sprung for the 16gb! I figure between the netbook and the ipod I should have enough storage for my fish tank needs.

How silly is it that I actually bought electronics for my fish tanks? LOL

Thanks, I've been trying to find that answer for a few days but couldnt. lol

In retrospect I should have sprung for the 16gb! I figure between the netbook and the ipod I should have enough storage for my fish tank needs.

How silly is it that I actually bought electronics for my fish tanks? LOL

I think this should be posted in the thread "You know you're an Aquarist if...."
lmao

P.S.Cheaper if you just sing to them:band:

Well everyone, we have major progress!!! The 55g is now empty and waiting to be scrubbed in the garage. :) The 90g is in place, the top of the stand was drilled for the overflow and the sump was put in. WOOT! The topside plumbing is all done just have to do the underneath part tomorrow which I don't expect to be too too bad.

So next step is to cut out the eggcrate and place on the bottom of the tank, this I plan on doing tomorrow morning. Then it's gonna be adding the rock hopefully tomorrow as well. Depending on how the rock setup goes I could have water and sand in tomorrow as well. Not too sure about the water, I don't have 90g made up yet. LOL This progress tonight was due to some friends coming over and getting the ball rolling cause my Honey really really didnt wanna start the 90g just yet.

Here are some pictures of the tank in place and all. :) This thing is way taller than me so it should be interesting doing the rockscape. hehe....

img_1706133_0_4a1588f90731a497b49dc4b42a71ce63.jpg

img_1706133_1_713b27dc72b16e6386f8f71ef7f6325a.jpg

img_1706133_2_a2213685b9808dbed386aa09ccb80a05.jpg

img_1706133_3_86c2a3f5f52729b0755639f0fd783688.jpg

carey said:
Well everyone, we have major progress!!! The 55g is now empty and waiting to be scrubbed in the garage. :) The 90g is in place, the top of the stand was drilled for the overflow and the sump was put in. WOOT! The topside plumbing is all done just have to do the underneath part tomorrow which I don't expect to be too too bad.

So next step is to cut out the eggcrate and place on the bottom of the tank, this I plan on doing tomorrow morning. Then it's gonna be adding the rock hopefully tomorrow as well. Depending on how the rock setup goes I could have water and sand in tomorrow as well. Not too sure about the water, I don't have 90g made up yet. LOL This progress tonight was due to some friends coming over and getting the ball rolling cause my Honey really really didnt wanna start the 90g just yet.

Here are some pictures of the tank in place and all. :) This thing is way taller than me so it should be interesting doing the rockscape. hehe....

So awesome! Congrats on the progress!

Thanks red! I hope to go to lowes in a little bit and get the final plumbing parts I need.

The only bad thing is I lent my ro.di unit to our friends so I cant fill it with water yet. :-( I wasnt thinking last night when they asked, I totally forgot I needed it.

But yep, it is finally coming along.

carey said:
Thanks red! I hope to go to lowes in a little bit and get the final plumbing parts I need.

The only bad thing is I lent my ro.di unit to our friends so I cant fill it with water yet. :-( I wasnt thinking last night when they asked, I totally forgot I needed it.

But yep, it is finally coming along.

Cool, hope you find everything ok at Lowes!

How long are they borrowing the unit for?

Last edited:
Got all my plumbing parts and have started putting it together. Also got the eggcrate all dremmeled out and it fits perfectly!

I'm hoping they will return the ro/di unit tomorrow, it will take me about 2 days or so to make enough water.

I do have a question though, is there anyway to test the plumbing without filling the entire tank? I also didn't water test it as I assumed it was good since it was still in the original store wrapping and shrinkwrap.

the only way i can think of is removing the drain stand pipe so it just the bulkhead fitting at the bottom of the tank and then filling it up to where the water will fill the overflow from the one of the bottom screens. thats assuming that your overflow has those cutouts at different depths.

i dont know if any of that made sense for you.

My screen intake pipe and the stand pipe are built in together. here is a picture of the setup....

What if I just fill the overflow up with water and see if the water drains down and if there are any leaks in the plumbing? I know i cant test the return for leaks though. :-(

img_1706750_0_93273e5a388e368dd9693ce6ee4600ef.jpg

i suppose you could do that.

may i ask why you dont want to fill your tank up with tap water and then siphon it all out when your done leak checking? im assuming you have one of those siphon water change rigs that attaches to your sink.

omg. i can be such a ditz sometimes. I didn't even consider doing that. LOL

It's only like 10 feet from my ktichen sink too.

Gonna see if the boyfriend likes the idea and go from there. Then I can leak test and plumb test at the same time and not have to wait for the ro/di unit.

Twitch, you are the BEST!! Thanks!!

Went in a bit of a different direction. LOL

Filled the tank with all the ro/di water I had on hand, about 70gallons worth and the rest I used tap water for. Phosphates are testing at .25 so it's not too bad.

other than some further adjustments on the return line the system is up and running perfectly. Got the water levels just right on the first go.

I plan on maybe adding the 75lbs of live rock tomorrow and the rest will be base. I want to stay around 125lbs or so, nothing crazy, I want lots of room for lots of fish. :-D

Put the 55g 4 bulb T5 on the tank to see how well the light penetrated and I think it looks excellent. What do you guys think? Here are some pictures.

img_1707426_0_9044577db9e951c0afdf26be82ba6eae.jpg

img_1707426_1_2ab049d5115d5a588e1198dab9df584c.jpg

carey said:
Went in a bit of a different direction. LOL

Filled the tank with all the ro/di water I had on hand, about 70gallons worth and the rest I used tap water for. Phosphates are testing at .25 so it's not too bad.

other than some further adjustments on the return line the system is up and running perfectly. Got the water levels just right on the first go.

I plan on maybe adding the 75lbs of live rock tomorrow and the rest will be base. I want to stay around 125lbs or so, nothing crazy, I want lots of room for lots of fish. :-D

Put the 55g 4 bulb T5 on the tank to see how well the light penetrated and I think it looks excellent. What do you guys think? Here are some pictures.

I agree, the light looks really nice with that tank!

The stand itself is actually 30" tall. LOL The tank is a few inches taller than me without the lights even on top. Does give you a really good straight on view of the tank though. :) And lots of room underneath for the skimmer and other future toys.

Back
Top Bottom