Carey's Bio Cube Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Epuerto said:

dont forget these bacteria need water oxygen and a food source. if you were to get a fresh batch of the stuff mabye itd work but the stuff sits on shelves for months at a time so you basicly add dead bacteria and just normal substrate but heres not the place for debate. carey your lr idea is briliant and would deff work but the substrate and Bio sporia stuff i cant say its all up to you though i cant wait to ser it all come together

i thinkk thatd work but that live sand nd bacteria bottles are usualy a lie the bacteria is more than likely dead if there ever was anny in it

Oh I totally agree on the bottle stuff usually. I've used BioSpira before and felt I got a few days advantage from it. I also wanna kinda experiment and see if it will work. lol

i tried some of that stuff on a freshwater tank once forgot the name i think it actually did work or maybe i had a real quick cycle lol

carey said:
Oh I totally agree on the bottle stuff usually. I've used BioSpira before and felt I got a few days advantage from it. I also wanna kinda experiment and see if it will work. lol

lol if you got the cash do it and report.your results i think youd be better off seeding from.your 55 IMO but hey im intrested in what approach you do and to hear your results :)

I wouldn't try that with the harlequin, Badfishofbabylon tried this for his harlequin and the starfish didn't make it after he cut off the first leg.

Try to see if you can get some asterina stars from your LFS, that'd be the best way to feed one if you decided on getting one.

As for the live sand and magical cycle starter bottles, IMO a lie and I wouldn't waste my money.

Adding established LR you'll probably see little to no cycle.

And to reinforce what thom and TC said (Even though I know you've heard and heard this time and time again) the mandarin isn't a good idea. If eating prepared they can revert back to eating pods in which case you would be using them faster than they can reproduce. JMO but heed their advice, it's not worth watching that mandarin starve so you can have him for a while

I'll stick around though just to see a nice pair of snowflakes or picassos, or s'more clowns!

Hey, I watched that video. very good link, thanks.

I may add it depends on if I have the $20 bucks. I got the sand cause it was the color and texture I wanted not necessarily for the bacteria but it's a bonus of it helps. lol

carey said:
Hey, I watched that video. very good link, thanks.

I may add it depends on if I have the $20 bucks. I got the sand cause it was the color and texture I wanted not necessarily for the bacteria but it's a bonus of it helps. lol

lol pics would be nice! could you pop over to my thread and share some advice please and thank you:) lol

I wouldn't try that with the harlequin, Badfishofbabylon tried this for his harlequin and the starfish didn't make it after he cut off the first leg.

Try to see if you can get some asterina stars from your LFS, that'd be the best way to feed one if you decided on getting one.

As for the live sand and magical cycle starter bottles, IMO a lie and I wouldn't waste my money.

Adding established LR you'll probably see little to no cycle.

And to reinforce what thom and TC said (Even though I know you've heard and heard this time and time again) the mandarin isn't a good idea. If eating prepared they can revert back to eating pods in which case you would be using them faster than they can reproduce. JMO but heed their advice, it's not worth watching that mandarin starve so you can have him for a while

I'll stick around though just to see a nice pair of snowflakes or picassos, or s'more clowns!

I think I've gotten over the idea of the harlequin, just too morbid for me. I'll just enjoy them when I visit the lfs.

I am re-thinking and re-thinking the mandarin, I'm not in a rush to cycle so I can get it. I'd like to have my pod tank up and runniong and see what kind of reproduction I get with them. If it's not substantial enough of course that will be the end of that, at least until I get a larger tank and it gets established.

I appreciate you taking the time to be the "angel" on my shoulder giving me the other opinions to the "devil" on the other shoulder just telling me to forge ahead. :)

Getting close to setup day!! I ordered 50lbs of base rock from reefcleaners, will be here wednesday! The stand comes tomorrow and will be put together by the evening. So looks like wednesday is the day for filling and arranging. :)

Still have to order some ph's not sure if i should get just 1 or buy 2. I'm looking at the koralia nano 425gph. I think 2 might be too much flow though...

I was gonna go with just 1 240gph ph but I think that will def. be too little.

Any opinions guys?

I just use the 1 nano along with the filter pump it came with. I think there is enough movement, but if you get something different let me know how it works.

I think I got everything to start tonight. Just picked up the stand. i have my rock coming tomorrow, the new lights on thursday and the extra ph on thursday as well.

I'm just waiting for the stand to be put together then I will begin the water/sand/rock process. SOOO excited!

I figure I'll move 3 pieces of rock outta my 55g and i have 40lbs of sand. :) Decided not to waste money on the bio spira this time since I'll probably cycle fast with the established rock. :-D

Good deal, so happy for you! I jsut got a tracking # from UPS, and my light fixture will be here tomorrow.

Thanks wolf. I will as soon as the tank gets on the stand! lol

I will mail that stuff to you tomorrow, didn't get a chance today. :-D

Back
Top Bottom