Carey's Final Reef Upgrade- 180g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Been looking over this tank and am thinking its about time to add some new fish to it. :-D

I just noticed the citron goby went missing, probably a couple weeks ago. :-( He was one of my favorites too, a couple years old but was getting really really thin in the new tank.

Current updated stock is:
Naso tang
Blue hippo tang
Tomini tang
Black combtooth blenny
Midas blenny
Pair of mated filefish
Pair of b&w clowns
Rabbitfish
melanurus wrasse

I think thats it as far as fish. lol Kinda hard to keep track with so many fish. lol

I was thinking maybe another tang, and maybe a foxface. Would a foxface be ok with the rabbitfish do ya think? Also would like to add 3-4 anthias and a couple more chromis. Looking for a highly stocked tank and lots of activity. Parameters are good and steady so I think the tank can handle alot of fish overall. :)
The naso continues to stress me though, he hides when i approach the tank now but still eats pretty well, a little delicate of an eater but he does get a good amount of food.
I think I am just worrying for no reason but still kinda shaky what with losing the naso's before this one.

I'm thinking maybe keep it simple this time, I like the lyretails. :)

On a somber bad note, the naso was lying on the sand last night not looking good at all. He moved later and was leaning on a rock. I dont think he is gonna make it. I cant find him now but the lights are still off, so hopefully when they come on I can say yes or no whether he made it.

I just don't get it though. This is the 4th naso that I have lost, (if he is in fact dead), he did make it the longest but still clueless as to the issue. The water tests put perfect and all the other fish seem fine.

I really like the Lyretails too; I like their shape and color.

That is so odd about the Nasos.....I am really hoping that his actions are just a false alarm. Tangs do act funny sometimes....

SO have not found the body of the naso tang. To get to the lower level of rock I would have to pretty much rip apart the tank.
SO being the worry wart that I am, I tested the water. With the api ammonia test it is coming up at .25 or so. SOOO I went to the salifert test and it comes up at zero. To break the tie I used my red sea kit and it looks to be 0 as well.
Not sure if I should worry about this or not. All the kits are new and well within their expiration dates so thats no the problem.
I am just kinda skeptical that the new 180 could gobble up a rotting naso tang. If it were my 125g I know it would be fine, that tank had so much rock and was so established anything could pass away in there and not even cause a blip.
I had wanted to get a couple fish yesterday when i was daytona but didnt cause I wanted to be sure that there wasnt anything wrong in the tank. Now i am not sure what to do.
I get paid wednesday and would really like to get two more tangs this week but am antsy about the possibility of ammonia.
What would you guys do?
Thanks!

Eh, I'd pry monitor it. It's really a shame about the Nasos :(. My friend just lost both of his new ones too. Guess just none of them are coming in too healthy right now.

Being that I haven't kept a tang on my own, (with my family I have) take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Thanks Mac.... Yeah, I havent seen too many super healthy naso's around here or even when I was up in pennsylvania. The same with copperbands, they just have been coming is pretty crappy over the last few months.

I will probably have to pass on another naso, just cant keep throwing a wad of money at them and having them die off so soon. I'm thinking a yellow tang and something else. AGAIN. lol
I will retest for ammonia for the next few days and see if it changes. I guess better to worry overly about nothing than let something get by me and cause disaster.

I don't see any down side to waiting. If parameters stay in check, then start adding more. Better safe than sorry.

Sorry to hear about the loss. I want a Naso for my 240g, but I am going to wait. I will talk to a couple LFS out in my old stomping grounds this weekend and see what they say about their Nasos lately.

Thanks Todd..If you hear anything please let me know, there has to be something going on. I am not a master fish keeper but like 4 nasos? Thats alot of dead fish even if i were the worst keeper ever

Thanks Todd..If you hear anything please let me know, there has to be something going on. I am not a master fish keeper but like 4 nasos? Thats alot of dead fish even if i were the worst keeper ever

Well I'd consider you pretty close Carey! Though there is definitely something wrong going on.

After my 2-3 tries with the copperband I spoke with a good lfs guy. He ahd told me he wont even bring them in unless they are from australia I think he said. But he said that drives the price up to over $100 and not many people will spend it.

Sorry about the naso Carey :( i really like mimic tangs, orange shoulder, or lieutenant tangs. Maybe you could consider one of those.

I was eying a large yellow and a orange shoulder the day before yesterday. I like the orange's body shape, but I didnt get them obviously. I'm just so particular when i get tangs. lol

I'm hoping to get up to orlando in a few days after I get paid and maybe get two from a shop out there. I have had pretty good luck with their fish so why not give them my tang business.
:)

What about a clown tang I was at a friends house today and he had one in his tank it huge and had it for 3 years

Oh haha sorry the tank I saw today was my LFS workers personal tank he has gone away on holidays to vanawatu or how ever you spell it for 2 weeks and I get to help look after it :) he has a Red Sea sailfin in there as well they all make his yellow look like a dwarf

Back
Top Bottom