Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmm getting a littel concerned, the blue tang is constantly hanging out near my skimmer output. Is this normal behaviour?

I'm used to him sleeping under a rock, LOL even though that seems odd. But this new thing makes me wonder.....

img_1496886_0_bb3b853bd6136bc08d3ac6df64818f45.jpg

I honestly wouldn't be concerned ,,,i never owned a regal,,but i have heard that they are one of the shyest of all tangs ,,even fish for that matter...He looks good and seems to have good color,,as long as he eats i wouldn't worry,,he'll come around

Thanks guys for the re assurance. :) Otherwise he seems very normal, eating very well and still pretty blue.

carey said:
yep, qt'ing this time around. :) Lost 6 fish due to not qt'ing over a month ago. lesson learned....

If and when I upgraded in a few months, I was debating whether or not to get a quarantine tank or not. So you reccomend one? What happened to the six fish? Thanks

I added a caribbean blue tang that was either stressed or had some type of disease and it spread to my 2 b&w's clowns, my gramma, a Kole tang and an anthias. I never found out what he had but the fish all displayed symptoms and within 24 hours of not eating and hiding they each died. Whatever it was it was fast and merciless. :-( It wasnt ich and it looks more and more like it wasnt velvet either. I had 3 fish survive. :-(

I had to put in a pair of aggressive clowns I had from another tank in soon after the outbreak and they are also fine. I let the tank sit as it was for about 6 weeks to be sure it wasnt ich or velvet and so far no signs.

If I had qt'd that caribbean blue tang I would have had him die within a week and have saved my other fish. So yes, even though I am HATING this qt thing I have to say it's a good idea.

I added a caribbean blue tang that was either stressed or had some type of disease and it spread to my 2 b&w's clowns, my gramma, a Kole tang and an anthias. I never found out what he had but the fish all displayed symptoms and within 24 hours of not eating and hiding they each died. Whatever it was it was fast and merciless. :-( It wasnt ich and it looks more and more like it wasnt velvet either. I had 3 fish survive. :-(

I had to put in a pair of aggressive clowns I had from another tank in soon after the outbreak and they are also fine. I let the tank sit as it was for about 6 weeks to be sure it wasnt ich or velvet and so far no signs.

If I had qt'd that caribbean blue tang I would have had him die within a week and have saved my other fish. So yes, even though I am HATING this qt thing I have to say it's a good idea.

Ok, what do you think a good size for a quarantine tank would be? I have 2 10 gallons available, but i don't know if that is too small.

Depends on the size of the fish you will be qt'ing in my opinion. I happen to have a 55g sw tank still setup so I;m using that right now. I plan on using a 29g I will be getting for free from a relative.

Alot of people use a 10g though, I don't think i would qt a tang in a 10g though unless he was tiny or anything else that really big.

On the plus side, you pretty much just need a tank, heater and a filter. No sand or rock is necessary. You can add some pvc joints for the fish to hide and be safe in though. You dont even need a light lol.

You want to keep it as bare as possible so that if you do have to treat the fish for something you arent soiling any live rock or sand as they can absorb any medications you add.

If my blue tang in qt does show any signs of illness i will be moving him to a 10g tank for medicating. Luckily the tang isnt that large.

Depends on the size of the fish you will be qt'ing in my opinion. I happen to have a 55g sw tank still setup so I;m using that right now. I plan on using a 29g I will be getting for free from a relative.

Alot of people use a 10g though, I don't think i would qt a tang in a 10g though unless he was tiny or anything else that really big.

On the plus side, you pretty much just need a tank, heater and a filter. No sand or rock is necessary. You can add some pvc joints for the fish to hide and be safe in though. You dont even need a light lol.

You want to keep it as bare as possible so that if you do have to treat the fish for something you arent soiling any live rock or sand as they can absorb any medications you add.

If my blue tang in qt does show any signs of illness i will be moving him to a 10g tank for medicating. Luckily the tang isnt that large.

Ok, thanks, I was planning on adding tangs, so unless I get them small, I should probably go pick up a little bit of a bigger tank, when I upgrade.

how much longer do you have to keep your fish in qt? im chomping at the bit to get some black and white clowns in mine and well you know where im at on that little venture... ha i finally made it through your entire thread.

I am planning on 2 weeks and if all is well then I will move him over. Some people go for 6 weeks! I don't think I could wait that long! lol

Congratulations on finishing, sorry it was so darn long. :) But I hope you got some of your questions answered by reading through it.

Back
Top Bottom