Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-12-2011, 03:54 AM   #1171
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
i use an old mag float as an algae clip.
btw, as long as you make sure a good amount of food makes it to the bottom, you should not have a lot of dead nassarius.
as for increasing the CUC as the bio load increases, you need to remove nutrients from the tank. it's a sealed system. you can't get things that eat waste to help, because they just crap it out as well. you have to completely (manually) remove it. you can run an algae free tank without a single snail or crab. i've done it.

but the don't crap it all out, they still use that as food and nourishment. they crap out the stuff that their body doesn't need, just like any other living organism. they probably use 75% of the foo and crap out the rest. i see your point but the waste is less with a higher clean up crew mainly detritus eaters not specificly algae grazers, but those grazers help keep things clean looking

Old 06-12-2011, 08:42 AM   #1172
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
75%? i read that fish poop is made up of more food than waste. it's probably 75% in the foods favor, not the waste.
detritus is made up of protein, complex carbohydrate, sugars, etc. all things you don't want in your tank. you still have to manually remove waste on a regular basis or your tank will crash, no matter how many crabs you have.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #1173
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have a new question about my filter sock. I have a double wide sock which the two overflow hoses go through. If I adjust the water to it's maximum flow the sock overflows. :-(

Can I somehow make it so it's 2 separate socks or am I stuck with the one double? I have one xtra sock btw, costs $11 each online and more locally.

Any suggestions or ideas?
Old 06-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #1174
Aquarium Advice Addict

do you have a pic of it? filter socks need to be changed out often, by often i mean on a weekly or bi weekly basis. most that use them keep a few sets and re wash themwhile they have the other socks in place
Old 06-12-2011, 03:50 PM   #1175
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'll post a picture in a bit.

I'm going to go get a tang today!!! Can't wait! Gonna get a yellow one and maybe a mandarin if I have enough nerve.

Also gonna see if I can order the tomini or the caribbean one as well. Maybe get them next week.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #1176
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
I'll post a picture in a bit.

I'm going to go get a tang today!!! Can't wait! Gonna get a yellow one and maybe a mandarin if I have enough nerve.

Also gonna see if I can order the tomini or the caribbean one as well. Maybe get them next week.
Carey,this maybe a stupid question,but are you sure your 125 gallon tank has completely cycled?
Plus don't you think you need to get all your sump and filter issues worked out before adding so much livestock.I would hate to later see the Tank C-word.

Remember patience is a must in Saltwater.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #1177
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricksreef View Post
Carey,this maybe a stupid question,but are you sure your 125 gallon tank has completely cycled?
Plus don't you think you need to get all your sump and filter issues worked out before adding so much livestock.I would hate to later see the Tank C-word.

Remember patience is a must in Saltwater.
I'm pretty confident. I had a slight ammonia spike a few days in and since then it's been all clear. I added the livestock from the 55 on Thursday and since then no changes in parameters.

I'm still tweaking the sump and the flow, but otherwise everything is working fine, the skimmer is actually breaking in quicker than I thought it would. lol
Old 06-12-2011, 05:51 PM   #1178
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Oh, by the way, I got the yellow TANG! Acclimating right now!
Old 06-12-2011, 05:58 PM   #1179
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Joyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Oh, by the way, I got the yellow TANG! Acclimating right now!
I don't see pictures...it's all lies!
Old 06-12-2011, 05:59 PM   #1180
Aquarium Advice Addict

im so jealous i dont have cash for any fish all my tanks are at a stand still

xxwolfpackof1xx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1.5g, build, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com