Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks. Sorry about your blenny too, they are really cool fish. :-( I guess sometimes things just happen without rhyme or reason. It's still hard though, losing a fish you've grown to love. I take it too personally I guess, but that may be a good thing.

Are you going to replace your blenny? I don't think i will get another midas, kinda turned off to the whole idea now.

Just fed the tank and no sign of him. :-( He was always front and center for food. I'm gonna search the sump area again, I know he's not around the tank or floor as I just checked again. Just wishful thinking. But thanks :)

I've noticed in our hobby that you kinda have to distance yourself just a little bit from the fish or else it breaks your heart when you lose one. But that's not always possible, especially with favorites.

carey said:
Are you going to replace your blenny? I don't think i will get another midas, kinda turned off to the whole idea now.

They are getting me a diamond, and a helfrichi firefish.
I need a sand sifter, and I have wanted a helfrichi since before I even started this tank.

I hope you find the blenny.

I lost one of my favorite fish (banner fish) a few months ago. He was the biggest (4.5in) and most active fish in the tank, I searched everywhere-sump, floor, overflow behind rocks he just disappeared. He was too big for the cuc to make him disappear overnight. I never found out what happened to him. I have no plans to replace him his personality was unique.

Seems like i can't catch a break. My beloved midas blenny has gone missing as of yesterday morning/afternoon. I've searched the tank the best i can and looked all around the tank and underneath but no luck. :-( I'm really not happy about this. My poor blenny!

Is it unusual to just "lose" a fish in a 125g tank with 250+lbs of live rock? One of my clowns went missing a bit over a month ago and I never found him either. i also had a chromi go missing but I found his body underneath in my cabinet.

Should i be worried? Is there some killer in my tank or just bum luck? Water parameters are excellent so it's not that. ( amm 0, trite 0, trate-5! eek, ph 8.0, salinity 1.0255)

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I waited for weeks to get that fish and got it for a really good price too so I'm really bummed. Not sure I want to put another one in even. Just plain old discouraging. :-(

Really sorry about that carey.

Sorry bout your Blenny Carey. Hope he pokes his head out. I just took a coral out of my dt. Looks like it's gonna be history too. No clue there either so I think there is a ghost floating around our tanks sneaking them out on us.

Sorry about your coral, i had one of my early brain corals bleach out on me, it was my first coral fatality and I'm not really sure why it bleached. :-(

Maybe it will perk up yet, I've had some that didn't look too great at times and it just needed some patience. :)

Got up at 630 this morning with nothing to do, so I hooked up my ATO. :)

Quite proud of how it came out, was a dickens getting everything in there and organized. lol Soo many wires.... Here's a picture of the final product and one of my fabulous PVC work. :-D

img_1666847_0_c3d625e7ecd98b5721936cf678a9e245.jpg

img_1666847_1_d8a17b5b27cdc465625601dc23a36778.jpg

Carey what did u get for an ATO? Been looking at them. And what size tank did you use to hold the ro for the top off?

I got the JBJ ATO, it came with a 75g setup I got on Friday. It's about $70 on sale. It was actually very easy to setup too, even I could do it. LOL I'm using an empty 10g tank for the reservoir. Everything "just" fit under my stand. I was going to use a small garbage can but the 10g tank came with the ATO. :-D

Thank you I am going to have to look into that. I know it makes life so much easier but keep putting it off lol.

That is so awesome, I want one of these one day for my 125g, but that is way down the road. For water changes, can you just turn the ATO off, siphon water, and then turn it back on, so if will fill the tank with new water? Oh, but then I could only use it for water changes because the water would be SW.

Marine depot has them on sale now I believe. :) I don't believe I didn't get the ATO sooner, no more filling the sump twice a day.

I also just caught an uber deal on the hanna checkers for calcium and alkalinity from BRS's black friday sale. :-D They came out to $35 each after I used all my BRS points. I know they won't be that cheap for the bulk buy so I ordered em today. can't wait to get them, testing is gonna be soo much easier now.

Just started dosing kalkwasser yesterday. I started with 1 teaspoon per gallon and filled up my 10g reservoir. :)

How long does it take to see a difference? if I test tomorrow should I not see the 1 dkh drop that I usually see on a day to day basis? same with calcium?

Thanks

It's 12:30 here and I am waiting for the darn mailman to get here with my new hanna checkers. :-D

I ordered the alkalinity one and calcium checkers. Got them from bulk reef supply for like $35 while they were on super sale. LOL BRS is really on their game as far as shipping btw, ordered late sunday night and delivered to Florida on wednesday.

This is perfect timing as I just started dosing kalkwasser the other day. If anyone is interested in the hanna checkers let me know and I will post some information on them here after I get them today. :)

I'm using my ato i just installed last week. You mix the Kalk in a bucket and then just add the mix to the ato reservoir.

Back
Top Bottom