Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, I appreciate you giving me the heads up. :) I found on a local reef forum about $400 worth of stuff so i can't buy any fish or coral for awhile if I do get. It's a diablo skimmer, two dosing pumps, a sump that will fit under my 60g tank and a reefkeeper lite. I am SOO excited! I hope he gets back to me quick. lol

The only bummer is if I buy all that stuff I won't be taking home the 60g setup this month. :-(

Oh, I appreciate you giving me the heads up. :) I found on a local reef forum about $400 worth of stuff so i can't buy any fish or coral for awhile if I do get. It's a diablo skimmer, two dosing pumps, a sump that will fit under my 60g tank and a reefkeeper lite. I am SOO excited! I hope he gets back to me quick. lol

The only bummer is if I buy all that stuff I won't be taking home the 60g setup this month. :-(

Sounds awesome! Everything is coming together for the 60g, I can't wait!

It seems all I ever do is report bad news on this thread lately.

I found my male clown fish behind the tank a few minutes ago. :-( That was the second time he did it, the first time I managed to save him. So this makes like 4 fish that have jumped out of the 125g and died. A couple times I managed to save a jumper but this time i was taking a nap.

I plan on ordering the clear netting from BRS this week and putting some up on the 125g and the 90g. Hopefully this jumping to their death thing can end.

I am thinking of adding the b&w clowns to the tank now. They never jump in the cube and are a bit bigger than the orange oscellaris's I've had jump. Or should i wait for the netting to arrive? Not sure what to do....

It also would be nice to free up some space in the biocube since with the clowns in there it's a bit overstocked. BUT id I do there won't be any swimmy fish left. LOL All the others in the cube are just perchers or flutter like mandy and scooter.

carey said:
It seems all I ever do is report bad news on this thread lately.

I found my male clown fish behind the tank a few minutes ago. :-( That was the second time he did it, the first time I managed to save him. So this makes like 4 fish that have jumped out of the 125g and died. A couple times I managed to save a jumper but this time i was taking a nap.

I plan on ordering the clear netting from BRS this week and putting some up on the 125g and the 90g. Hopefully this jumping to their death thing can end.

I am thinking of adding the b&w clowns to the tank now. They never jump in the cube and are a bit bigger than the orange oscellaris's I've had jump. Or should i wait for the netting to arrive? Not sure what to do....

It also would be nice to free up some space in the biocube since with the clowns in there it's a bit overstocked. BUT id I do there won't be any swimmy fish left. LOL All the others in the cube are just perchers or flutter like mandy and scooter.

I'd say wait until you get your netting before adding the clowns

Sorry about the clowns. I have never had a jumper (unless you count my hawkfish that jumped into the overflow). I would wait on adding the clowns to the 125 until you get your netting. I'm sure you move a swimmy fish from the 20 or 125 into the Biocube :)

Sorry about your loss carey.

I also think that you should wait to add the B&Ws to the 125g (if you decide to do so) after the netting comes in. Just to be on the safe side. :)

Guess I must be bored cause now I'm thinking of stuff to do. LOL

I was thinking of changing out the return pump I have now and putting in the MAg18 I got for the future upgrade of this tank. :) I am using a rio HF 1532gph pump now so the mag shouldnt be that much of a jump. The only thing is i would have to redo the return plumbing since the Rio is a 1 inch return I ran everything with one inch pipe and hose. lol The overflow can handle 1200 so I should be good I think anyway.

Not sure when this tank is gonna get it's upgrade, but it's not going to be super soon so I figure why not use the Mag now, I can always keep the rio as a backup.

What do you guys think? Should I redo the return line or just leave it be?

Thanks everyone for following, I really appreciate it! I know it hasnt been real exciting as of late but I'm still plugging away!

Hmmm. If you want to get a jump start on the build for the 180g/220g, you could use the mag and make the plumbing for it, and then just transfer it to your new tank. I am not sure if that would possible since there is a difference in heights between the tanks.

If you would have to end up making new plumbing for the mag to fit the 125g, and then have to make new plumbing for the mag to fit the 180g/220g, I am not sure I would do it.

Just some thoughts that popped into my brain, lol.

Yeah, I would have to redo it again if i go to a 180/220, that tank will have dual overflows.....I'm just looking for better ways to do things I guess and that popped into my head as something I could do. lol

All the frags are doing well, the sympodium is still a tiny frag but its looking fine along with most every other coral. Sadly, my torch isn't looking any better and the blue clove polyps I have is infested with aiptasia, I mean really bad, I probably should just remove the coral...just hate giving up on it lol

Well don't give up on it imo. I have yet to give up on zoas and polyps. They hate my existance...that or my tank...I have yet to figure out why they will never open up for me. I want the sympodium to thrive...that and the 34 headed blue trumpet. Working on getting this 55 up and running and keeping the 36 going has been hard work...then my dog dumped her winter coat...ugh.

LOL, good luck! Zooas can be finicky so just keep going, they are bound to work eventually. :)

I might try some aipastia x on the clove polyp rock, its' just theres more anemone than coral at this point and the coral rock is about 4 inches too.

I lost a couple heads off my huge candycane a few months ago but the rest of it seems to be doing ok.

Just picked up my first digitata coral. It's a tiny orange one, in front of the purple stylo. :) Not the biggest specimen but still a start.

img_1816364_0_02f46411efaf4f76b0b9220385dda115.jpg

Good luck! I wish I had the kind of results you do. My liveaquaria order will be here tomorrow when I get off work. I have so little space though...I'm going to need to do some rearranging of rock so they do well.

I ran out of room in the tank long ago,LOL, I have 3 frag racks now. They seem to do very well, I'll be doing some rock re-arranging once all these frags are big enough. I was also planning on making my new 60g tank all corals so hopefully the ones on the frag racks will be ready for it. :-D

Back
Top Bottom