Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Carey, I have 10 words for you! OK, it's really only 2 words repeated 5 times!
FRAG TANKS
FRAG TANKS
FRAG TANKS
FRAG TANKS
FRAG TANKS

Also, save some cash and buy an underwater camera from B&H photo (unless you can find better price/service elswhere).

cmor1701d said:
Carey, I have 10 words for you! OK, it's really only 2 words repeated 5 times!
FRAG TANKS
FRAG TANKS
FRAG TANKS
FRAG TANKS
FRAG TANKS

Also, save some cash and buy an underwater camera from B&H photo (unless you can find better price/service elswhere).

Or get a GoPro! Imma make a video of my tank with mine in the water haha

LOL Ironically, the 60g build was gonna be a frag tank, 24 X 24 X 12 BUT the lfs guy talked me out of it. This way I can keep fish too. :)

Yep, redsea, thats supposedly an easy SPS to keep. We shall see.

LOL Ironically, the 60g build was gonna be a frag tank, 24 X 24 X 12 BUT the lfs guy talked me out of it. This way I can keep fish too. :)

Yep, redsea, thats supposedly an easy SPS to keep. We shall see.

Great thanks, I love the "easy" word, perfect for me, lol. I like the Purple Sylophora (I am sure I spelt that wrong) too.

You are close, lol. stylophora i believe. But then again I could be wrong too. lol I picked the stylo up for $20 a month or two ago and when i first got it, it dropped down into a field of palythoas. I thought it was dead for sure, the tips lost all the polyps and it looked really bad. But a bit of time under the lights and it's recovered nicely. I recommend them if you want to try sps out. :) The monti caps are probably the fastest grower and easiest, at least as far as my experience goes. I'm just dabbling in sps, I like them ok but not nuts for them like some people are. :-D

You are close, lol. stylophora i believe. But then again I could be wrong too. lol I picked the stylo up for $20 a month or two ago and when i first got it, it dropped down into a field of palythoas. I thought it was dead for sure, the tips lost all the polyps and it looked really bad. But a bit of time under the lights and it's recovered nicely. I recommend them if you want to try sps out. :) The monti caps are probably the fastest grower and easiest, at least as far as my experience goes. I'm just dabbling in sps, I like them ok but not nuts for them like some people are. :-D

Thanks, I will definitely try one out (if I do decide to make my 125g a Reef again after hypo (I just don't know what to do, lol, I don't think my 55g lights are good enough for one.)

Have you taken any pictures of the tank lately? Maybe you happened to take one of of the Anthias' or the secretive Tomini Tang :whistle:, LOL.

LOL. You jinxed me dude. lol I just took out the camera and took 2 shots of the engineer goby in the 20g and was gonna go from tank to tank AND out of battery. lol It's charging now so I'll get some of the fish and coral up hopefully before my blues go off. :)

I love the interest you take in everyones tanks! It's so encouraging!

LOL. You jinxed me dude. lol I just took out the camera and took 2 shots of the engineer goby in the 20g and was gonna go from tank to tank AND out of battery. lol It's charging now so I'll get some of the fish and coral up hopefully before my blues go off. :)

I love the interest you take in everyones tanks! It's so encouraging!

LOL, That reminds me, I never took those pictures of the 34g today, and my camera still isn't charged!

I charged it up enough to get like 50 photos. now I just have to charge it enough so it can send them to my computer and I can pick out the best ones. lol I just was snapping away, they really didn't wanna co-operate with me taking their photos, I didn't even have the flash on. ;-)

I charged it up enough to get like 50 photos. now I just have to charge it enough so it can send them to my computer and I can pick out the best ones. lol I just was snapping away, they really didn't wanna co-operate with me taking their photos, I didn't even have the flash on. ;-)

Haha, it is especially hard to take photos of fast fish like the Tangs.

On another note, I noticed that my Scopas Tang acts twitchy too. It must be something with the Zebrasoma family.

That's funny, I thought it was just mine. Glad to know he's not mentally challenged or anything, he looks kinda odd when he does the twitchy thing. It is funny to watch though, he's such a spaz sometimes. he is still leader of the tang gang too, the blue is a little pushy now too but not as bad as twitchy.

My Tangs have gotten along pretty well so far. The Scopas and the Blue were acting a tad aggressive to each other for a tiny bit of time, but I haven't noticed anything lately. :)

I can't wait to get my Yellow! I hope my Tang gang works out! Hopefully by the time I get the Yellow I will have some more rock so the the fish have more territory.

I find that out of the three tangs I have only the tomini has a permanent territory. The other fish pretty much switch up their spots. Not sure if thats normal or not but one day pootie will be in the back under this one rock or the anthias could be there. lol

A neat thing I've discovered, and I bet it just isn't me, how the tangs show their aggression. They will swipe at the other fish with their tail and kinda nudge them while swimming backwards and shaking their tails. I have seen it with every fish I have added so it must be a "tang" thing lol

I'll tell ya, nothing looks cooler than when all three tangs are out in the front swimming around in a group, makes me so glad I have the tank. It's all worth it when I sit in front and watch it and even from across the room it just seems so Epic. lol

Yeah, I think my Tangs were doing something like that. I think it is because their little "scapel" is located there. I hear that the scapel is so sharp that it can cut through human flesh:eek:.

I didn't know tangs have a weapon. I never heard that once. lol I guess i won't interfere if they do their swish tail thing again.

Gonna go see if the camera is charged enough to upload those pictures. I am bored tonight!! LOL

I didn't know tangs have a weapon. I never heard that once. lol I guess i won't interfere if they do their swish tail thing again.

Gonna go see if the camera is charged enough to upload those pictures. I am bored tonight!! LOL

Yeah, like look on the Yellow Tang. His scapel is the white thin piece before his tail.

Can't wait for the pictures!

Tangs are also called surgeon fish. For that exact reason. They can cut a fish (or you) with spines....

"The name "surgeonfish" is derived from their possessing erectable razor sharp spines called 'scalpels' at the base of their bodies just in front of the tail fin. These spines or scalpels are very sharp and can cut like a knife..." from Surgeonfish,Tangs, Unicornfish, Doctorfish, Marine Aquarium Fish Family: Acanthuridae

Here are a BUNCH of pictures. Some are of the 90g and the 20g, figured I'd out them all together.

img_1834932_0_645cd06c442da84151a42b68b1c4be6a.jpg

img_1834932_1_f8fb0d8aa6765a7cc2b7970af5ff557f.jpg

img_1834932_2_4cee5494761cb90a84ff47a6d0729b53.jpg

img_1834932_3_830494316e5af7e2ba3af796195b04b6.jpg

img_1834932_4_807eb2ac7eff9e73c17c2caafdb501f6.jpg

img_1834932_5_2df55e0a82337a53317a745d7acb6fb8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom