Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm very excited to say the least! LOL After the tank is full then all I ahve to do is setup the sump. Which leads me to this question----

If the tank is full and sump isn't running can I still add live rock? I wanted to get as much rock as I can into the tank before filling the sump to account for water displacement. Or does the rock need the sump up and running to stay alive?

Part 2 of this question is if I have the sump running can I move all the LR I have over and leave the 55g fishies and corals in the 55g with no rock for a couple of days? I can still run my canister and skimmer for the fish. I kinda wanted everything in the 125g to be perfect before I move the livestock over.

Any input would be appreciated, as usual. :-D

Thanks everyone!

Unfortunately I couldn't tell you how long your fish could stay in the 55 without consequence.

I added my live rock before setting up the sump to account for displacement.

How long was your LR in the water before you had your sump hooked up? I'd love to start moving the LR now before i finish filling it up. BUT I'm not sure if i will get the sump up tomorrow or not.

Mine was in for about 2 hours before I had the sump going. It shouldn't matter though, the rock is going to be submerged in saltwater.

Maybe if I added some powerheads? Keep circulation going? I'm at the mercy of a friend who is going to come over and help me put the sump together so I don't have a definite date or time it will be running. :-(

Ok, spoke with my friend and she will be over tonight or tomorrow night. :)
She told to me to start moving my live rock over and that it would be fine with no sump for awhile at least. Sound right?

I'm gonna start moving it in a few minutes so if you don't think I should please let me know.

Move it,as long as it is in saltwater nothing will die off. But of course make sure your water is proper temp.I would run a circulating pump.

OK! I have moved the live rock I was storing in the cube, the pod tank and about 75% of the rock from the 55g. I have a heater in tank for now and am running one of my 1400gph PH's. I have about 175lbs of rock in there now. :-D

I am attempting to scape the rocks and was wondering if I should use the back wall? I hated that in the 55g but theres no way I can keep 6ft of back glass clean so is there any reason not to lean some rock against the glass? I'm not talking heavy load or anything, LOL, just up agianst it. :-D

I was thinking it would leave alot more room out front for my tangs and schooling fish.

What says the forum? ;-)

I would leave at least a "tunnel" across the back so your fish can swim "around" instead of just back and forth in front.
I have Anthias and Zebras for a schooling fish so far and I have to say that the zebras school way nicer.

I just finished my rockwork, and I must say I like it. :)

I only have a few pieces up against the back, I think there are tons of ins and outs for the fish to get from here to there.

I was set on the anthias, how many and what kind do you have do you like them? And do they school up?

I have 10 (ordered 15) they were labeled as Dispar Anthias
p-80645-dispar.jpg

But they look more like Hawiian Fancy Bicolor Anthias
bicolor.jpg

I don't have enough "scary" fish so they don't school all that well. They usually stay in at least groups of two but even then some times they spread out. Basically they don't "school" very often.
The zebras on the other hand...
ZebraGoby.jpg

I have 18 of those in my DT and they stay as one or two groups all the time... when they get startled or "chased" they all dart as a group it looks awesome. Also them going to sleep is awesome to watch. The shoot into their hole so fast. Like a semi auto machine gun, about 5-6 will shoot in at a time one after the other, bam bam bam bam bam bam.

Back
Top Bottom