Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Next is to get the sump working. I'm kinda stumped for now. :-(

Then the fish move over saturday or sunday. I'll monitor it for a week or so and then I get to start stocking.

I have Maldives Lyretail Anthias,1 male,4 females.They school sometimes and other times just hang out.See picture.I got rid of my yellow tang so no problems in my 75 gallon

Attachments

• image-743768341.jpg
    image-743768341.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 175
  • image-3329796688.jpg
    image-3329796688.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 161
NICE! Thats what I'm looking at, the lyretail anthias. i want like 5 or 6 i figure.

They active and all? Not a hiding kinda fish are they?

They are out and about most of the time,especially the females.The male seems to spend a little time hovering between rocks,I guess to get some peace and alone time.LOL

Now it's time for odd questions..

As far as flow I was planning on using 2 koralia 750's and 2 1400's. Is this overkill? It's a 6 ft tank so I wanted to be sure I have enough flow....my return pump will be at maybe 1000gph after I throttle it back...

Any ideas?

see how it is once its all flowign, and if you need more you can always add more if not then leave it. you should be fine though

its not in turns of turn over rate, its more will there be enough flow to move the water across the whole length of the tank

carey, just put the two 1400s at the sidesand put the 750s in the middle and aim them were you fell you'll need the movement

Cool. Thanks guys. I thought maybe I was over doing it! I was thinking on taking the 750's and using them for salt mixing but if they should be in the 125g then I'll deal.

i think you're more then fine with those in with some corals they will require alot of water flow, and with your lighing you can house some stoney corals, which need higher flow rates sometimes 50 times or more

Ok, I'll run the four then. I have 3 arco's already which have been doing really well. :)

I'm sitting here all chicken, I'm afraid to fill the sump without proper supervision. LOL I have the return hose connected and everything is inside the sump, it's just waiting to be filled. I have the water too, just so scared I'm gonna screw this up.

I also have to add a ball valve to the return line, I know the pump is over powered for my overflow....anything else i should be doing? I'm working up nerve to start but I gotta be sure it's right, there's too much at stake for me to have a flood....

lol don't be afraid, fear is an evil, evil thing and holds people back from doing the things they want to do. if you do something wrong then there is a little clean up needed, just take your time and go slow and cautious. if it makes you feel any better i have faith in your ability to fill 'er up

Should i maybe move all the elctronics out of the area? I have a 50" flat screen and video games, blu ray player, receiver, surround sound etc.....That power center strip is on the floor not 3 feet away from the tank.....

I'm afraid, very afraaaaaid......my b/f would KILL me.

I'd never used a sump before either and was scared to plug the pump in and commit too. :) All I could think of was salt water everywhere.

But I did it and it turned out to be no big deal. Here's how I did mine.
  • Fill the tank to the top of the overflow just to where it's going to start overflowing.
  • Fill the sump about 1/2 full.
I had a bucket with 10g of saltwater ready, a hose with a pump in the bucket and going to the sump. Power strip with a switch so I could turn both pumps off at the same time if things went wrong. Also an empty bucket for the same reason.
  • Turned on the return pump and as soon as the water started dropping in the sump I plugged in the pump from my other water.
  • Quickly turned off everything and ran to get more water. ;)
  • Started back up and watched the level in the sump until it was a little above were I wanted.
  • Stopped the new water going in the sump and adjusted the ball valve on the return until the sump level was holding steady where I wanted.
  • Made little adjustments over the next hour or so while everything settled down.
Once everything looked steady I killed the return pump to simulate a power failure and watched the level in the sump. I've got it set where if there is a power fail the level in the sump get to about 2 inches from the top.

It was all pretty easy but there was a couple times I wished I had three arms. ;)

carey said:
Should i maybe move all the elctronics out of the area? I have a 50" flat screen and video games, blu ray player, receiver, surround sound etc.....That power center strip is on the floor not 3 feet away from the tank.....

I'm afraid, very afraaaaaid......my b/f would KILL me.

Sw fish and video games you bf is a lucky man!

Back
Top Bottom