Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2011, 10:36 AM   #681
Aquarium Advice Activist

Looks good! Keep the pics comin...

Old 05-31-2011, 12:31 PM   #682
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I just put the sump into the cabinet, looks good!

before I start loading this tank up with sand and rock, how much space do you guys leave behind your tanks? I can slide in behind this 125g now, but is that necessary? Should it be up against the wall? I just figured if something went wrong I might wanna be able to get behind it. LOL

Silly idea or should I slide the tank back a bit?

Old 05-31-2011, 12:47 PM   #683
Aquarium Advice Addict

Personally I wouldn't leave enough room to get behind it. No need to, really. Unless it cracked or leaked but then you'd have to dismantle the whole thing anyways.

I'd leave about 3-4 inches though for hang on back stuff if you'd ever need them for any reason.
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:47 PM   #684
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think I'd slide it back, I keep my tanks against the wall with a few inches of space. Our large one I can walk behind though, and it's nice since it allows us to get to the plumbing and see behind the rock. This tank is eventually going to be built into the wall though so the large space won't be noticeable, we will probably put a small door to access the area.
0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:02 PM   #685
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks guys, I slid it back a bit, about 7 inches from the wall now.

So, what do I do first? Should I add the sand and rock then the water? I'm dreading filling this thing, I can only fill 3g at a time right now. I don't have a pump to pump it to the tank from a garbage can. Unless I can use a maxi jet 1200 and go get like 10ft of tubing......
Old 05-31-2011, 01:17 PM   #686
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would add the sand, then the water, then the rock, keeping the rock wet in their buckets as long as possible. I'd also put a plate or something flat down to try not to stir up the sand too much. I always try too push the rocks into the sand too so any burrowing fish don't get squished when they remove the sand underneath.
0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:24 PM   #687
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have 50lbs of base rock waiting also. Can I add that in now ya think? I am figuring on moving the 55g's contents this weekend over to the 125g. Or should I add some of the cycled live rock before I add the fish and gang and let it start to cycle? It's gonna be all new water so I'm not sure....

Thanks for the help btw Kelsey, you rock
Old 05-31-2011, 01:42 PM   #688
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Sorry I cant help with your above question. But your tank is coming together nicely! Not much longer now
Old 05-31-2011, 01:46 PM   #689
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

This is the fun part! lol At least now we'll see some progress. Just weeks away from my tangs! woot!

I am sooo procrastinating on the water though, at 3g a pop I'm looking at doing 30 some odd buckets of mixing. :-( I figure there will be about 100g of water when all the rock and sand is in.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:54 PM   #690
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

I wish I could help. You would figure all this reading I do I would be a genius by now. LOL. I thought if you had a RO DI thing you fill it up and fill the buckets up. Oh well. I am too simple. LOL

Tags
1.5g, build, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com