Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can't wait for the pics! I haven't seen a purple feather duster, must be so cool! I've seen the Hawaiian one, pink, red and combinations of the two plus white coco worms but never ever a purple one!

I'll be very curious to see how your flowerpot does. I've read it can be very hard to keep alive. wishing you tons of luck!

I just now have been reading up on this coral. It's a gonipora and yes, according to my book it's a hard one to raise. At least it doesnt require feeding of the polyps like my sun coral does. LOL

Pictures uploading now. The flowerpot isnt that special, but it was only $20. And the duster is HUGE, at least to me. hehe

Some pictures, the lights I have don't do them justice though. can't wait to get new bulbs LOL

img_1447561_0_4e3097b68fa1b3ebdfa902c08bd67b94.jpg

img_1447561_1_48958e4529050261d6ba4941c2dfdb4e.jpg

The duster is really cool! Is it the "tubeless" kind? How did you attach it so nicely?
I like flowerpot corals, I think they look very sweet! I hope yours grows just fine!

Carey, how often do you feed your sun coral? Is it difficult? I want one too but was unsure about the feeding part, don't want it to starve you know.

Nope, he has a nice long tube so I just put him in between some rocks. My reference books ays they like alot of flow but I may have to move him.

I've only had the sun corals for 2 weeks or so, but I've been feeding them with tweezers, mysis and brine shrimp. It's a real pain cause you have to wait til they open up then feed each single polyp. I have over 10 heads so it takes quite some time. It's really cool though, kinda like feeding a nem. They actually take the food from my tweezers and engulf it. Today some of the polyps look very flat while some are huge and puffy. I'm learning as I go. LOL

Yeah, they look like spikey zooas. hehe

Sometimes some will open during the day, I had a few open earlier when I was working on the tank.

carey said:
Nope, he has a nice long tube so I just put him in between some rocks. My reference books ays they like alot of flow but I may have to move him.

I've only had the sun corals for 2 weeks or so, but I've been feeding them with tweezers, mysis and brine shrimp. It's a real pain cause you have to wait til they open up then feed each single polyp. I have over 10 heads so it takes quite some time. It's really cool though, kinda like feeding a nem. They actually take the food from my tweezers and engulf it. Today some of the polyps look very flat while some are huge and puffy. I'm learning as I go. LOL

Do you feel like the Octo mom.LOL

carey said:
Yeah, they look like spikey zooas. hehe

Sometimes some will open during the day, I had a few open earlier when I was working on the tank.

Decided! I'm getting a small one! :D

My b/f calls me the crazy fishlady or a fish head. LOL

nice call! just be preapred to feed them all, each polyp and keep in mind the ectra food can cause parameter swings if you feed them phyto or zoo instead. I was feeding them that with a turkey baster but it caused my water quality to go down a bit. Mucked up my water as well. BUT I do pwcs like every few days cause its so easy so it wasnt that bad for me. You might run into issues in a bigger tank. So feeding each on by hand may be the only way.
They also hate the light too so keep that in mind. :)

Gonna get one soon are you? Or just wait til you see one? That's what I did, I passed on aquite a few until i found a large healthy looking one. Paid only $30 too for it.

Good price. I'm not sure when I'll get it, at least a month or two probably. I also want a cristata for my clown - hoping she'll host :)

Had to look that one up! Looks nice, it's in the frogspawn/hammer family so yeah, your clown may host it. Just be careful cause the hosting can damage the fish and/or the coral. My four clowns almost hosted my aussie elegance to death. When i sold it it looked like crap. I felt so bad for it. :(

I know that's why I want one from the torch/frogspawn family. I had a pair hosting a torch and all three of them were happy. :)

Candy makes an appearance right outside her little hole she lives in. She was hungry. Just darts out and goes right beck to her perching.

img_1447779_0_917e7db996387efb01edd882a846f47e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom