Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
carey said:
MTS= multiple tank syndrome

Thanks for the other link leftyfish, I think these were better than the other ones I've seen.

SO, let's ASSUME I had ich kill my fish over 2 weeks ago. There are no signs at all of it, even under blues on any remaining fish. I have also added 2 fish to the tank since. So the parasite could be maturing in the sand correct? And this could take up to 28 days? If it is ich won't my fish become affected within those 28 days? Or shortly thereafter?

I'm trying to rule out ich and just need to understand the time table. If after 28 days of initial "infection" there is no re-occurence then is it safe to assume it wasn't ich?

Also, bad new.....my last cleaner shrimp has gone missing. :-(
BUT BUT BUT I saw a thread just before where someone caught their tang eating and pecking at cleaner shrimp. Anyone think now maybe the pistol shrimp isn't killing them but the tang is?

Thanks so much for everything!

MTS got it. No I mean I really do suffer from it..

Im not doubting leftys experience.. but I've seen ick and by the looks of it didn't seem to have it.. now I know lefty has as well and my intentions are not to debate over it.. I personally think what ever your fish contracted was due to inexperienced personal "personally" getting your fish ready for you.. ( forgot what they said they did). I wouldn't go back to purchace anything from them... I think they were poisoned some how during their process... now to described why your other fish passed away maybe they ate the feces of the other fish while its was still in a concentrated form..where as the other fish are still fine because its become diluted in your water collum. I might be way off but it makes logical sense to me...

Max thread count? I just posted but not showing up.

Nvm. Like I said just my two cents...

Yeah, I for sure know whatever came in came in on the blue tang. They did a "dip" of the fish after he arrived which probably stressed him way out.

The anthias I think just didn't eat. The other fish though, still unsure. I'm hoping it was something brief that entered the tank and worked it's way through some fish and is now gone. I went back and it's been almost 3 weeks since the blue tang died.

I'm gonna give it until August sometime and then maybe get a fish. Until then I am trying to stock my other tanks so at least I have that. lol

I'm not sure what fish i want to be my first new fish though. I wanted one more tang, but not sure which one. i think I ruled out the blue tang, I've heard they are nothing but trouble hehe.....But maybe another Kole tang or a mimic? If I don't go with a tang I might just get a midas blenny for now.

I still have at least 2 weeks more though to rule out the ich. So, here I sit patiently waiting. Or not so patiently. lol

Yep, after 28 days if no signs of it, it is either in the gills only, fish developed immunity, or it was never there to begin with.

I did add two different fish from another tank too, so they shouldn't have immunity. Another 2 weeks and I guess I'll know for sure. Now it's back to investigating velvet and maybe consider a parasite of some kind was involved. Theres gotta be something.....

carey said:
I did add two different fish from another tank too, so they shouldn't have immunity. Another 2 weeks and I guess I'll know for sure. Now it's back to investigating velvet and maybe consider a parasite of some kind was involved. Theres gotta be something.....

I still think that the fact that your skimmer hadn't broken in yet and your sump wasn't completely operational might have had something to do with your losses.Remember to large and frequent water changes can be as harmful as not often enough PWC's.All things cannot be tested for that the Protein skimmer pulls out.

I highly doubt that pwc's caused the problems, among newer and less experienced keepers yes I'd have to agree, but not with carey, she's very precise and I don't see a common routine being the cause of her problems

huma-huma said:
I highly doubt that pwc's caused the problems, among newer and less experienced keepers yes I'd have to agree, but not with carey, she's very precise and I don't see a common routine being the cause of her problems

I was really speaking more to the skimmer and sump not in operation when the livestock were put in,

I didn't put anything in alive until the sump was up and running. The skimmer was still breaking in when the deaths occured. I may not have the sump running at max water flow but it was up and running a few days with the refugium in place before livestock was added. The first fish I added was the Kole tang. Then a week later the 55g stocks, and then I think another week and I added the anthias and the blue tang.

If it's as simple as I neglected to do something I would wanna know. Maybe it was just a new tank fluke, but I'm still hesitant to add anything but coral at least until I can rule out ich.

I also think jsmith could be on to something, if the tang was overdosed copper, and some of the fish bullied him at all in his final stages they would have all become poisoned.

kurtyboh said:
I also think jsmith could be on to something, if the tang was overdosed copper, and some of the fish bullied him at all in his final stages they would have all become poisoned.

Wouldn't inverts die a long time before a fish with copper?

Yeah they would. My shrimp have been fine until recently. Not sure what is eating or killing them yet. I only have 2 peppermints left.

But maybe there was some cross contamination with the dipped fish.

I just don't think it was ich.. it might not have even been copper maybe it was over dosed with that stress relief some petstores love to add...

carey said:
Yeah they would. My shrimp have been fine until recently. Not sure what is eating or killing them yet. I only have 2 peppermints left.

But maybe there was some cross contamination with the dipped fish.

I quess question is what was it dipped with and what is the process

I may be going over that way this weekend to check out my mandarin he's holding, I will for sure ask what he dipped with and how long. I just assumed it was a copper dip. I also know he runs low level copper in fish tanks, that I did ask about.
:)

If it is only this simple as the dip or process I'm gonna be a bit po'd. LOL

Yeah its gonna be extremely upsetting if his dip caused this...I'd be having a nice long talk with the store manager or owner

I've been talking to the owner, he's a really nice guy too. And he knows his stuff ironically. He thought it might be velvet based on what I told him, but he thinks it most likely had something to do with my tank not being setup for a good amount of time.

I'm still not gonna stock anymore fish for at least 2 more weeks. Least that's the goal anyways. lol I plan on having him hold my fish for now on for a good week or 2 before I pick them up.

I know he just got a huge ORA order in today too, I hope I don't see anything this weekend I MUST have. LOL or maybe I kinda do. ;-)

carey said:
I've been talking to the owner, he's a really nice guy too. And he knows his stuff ironically. He thought it might be velvet based on what I told him, but he thinks it most likely had something to do with my tank not being setup for a good amount of time.

I'm still not gonna stock anymore fish for at least 2 more weeks. Least that's the goal anyways. lol I plan on having him hold my fish for now on for a good week or 2 before I pick them up.

I know he just got a huge ORA order in today too, I hope I don't see anything this weekend I MUST have. LOL or maybe I kinda do. ;-)

Problem is the owner might know his stuff.. but what about the employee he had " Dip" your dish.

Darn auto correct Fish*

Back
Top Bottom