Careys Tank(s) Lots of Pictures, Questions & Thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The 90g has always been one of my favorites! Of course the 180g (old 125g) too! Wrasses are wonderful! Many, many colors. :) It's too bad the Flame Wrasses are so pricey, their colors are amazing. But really any of them are nice. I remember when I started to see my Sixline's slime coating in the morning as he woke up. I wonder if all wrasses do that...I only actually noticed it back in 2011 when he got moved to the 55g. :)

Not sure about a slime coating on any of my wrasses. the red coris sleeps under the sand and the lunar jams himself into the rockwork. Weird fish right there. lol The sizline disappears, not sure where he sleeps.

Carey, I was having a nice little discussion with a guy from Ecotech and thought I would tell you the one bit that stuck out as a huge bit, even on my end. With the height above the water line being 8-10 inches for the Radions, they recommend running them at 50-60% intensity, depending on what coral you are keeping. I think this might have been a big part in the issues you were running into.

I was going with 40% but even with that I have burned several of my corals. i am now down to 20% for about 7 hours a day. The algae has kinda stopped growing it seems, lol, just have some of the green fuzzy stuff left. The cyano took 2-3 days with the chemiclean to go away but thats gone as well. I did like a 50% water change the other day and all parameters are at 0. So hopefully the last bit of algae will burn itself out. :)

I am still soo confused by the radion adn its programming. I need to sit down and watch some youtube videos I guess. I can get the light exactly like I want it, but only in the third tab, where you play with the light to test out what you like. Not sure how to get that info into the first tab whre the schedule is. Not sure that made much sense, lol, maybe if you have a radion....

Yeah there are three tabs, first one has the set points, the second one is for stuff i dont need to know about liek linking more than one radion, and the third lets you tinker with the lighting while its running. :)

I have been thinking of getting the reeflink, just $200 is alot. lol The vortechs arent even online yet are they with the reeflink?

I can control both radions and vortechs from my phone through the reeflink, but not through the webpage. Though, as it stands, my phone app isn't launching correctly. This is most likely an issue with my phone than the app though. Just haven't sat down to fiddle with it with a million other things to do.

Love the site!

Love your site! :) Can't wait for more updates. I think I could learn a thing or two from you!!!

Come check out my thread. I'm just getting started so I could use good advise. 54Seaweed and Sniperhank have both given me some good advise.

How are all the tanks? :D Any new adds lately? How about the Bettas? LOL, all these questions! I hope all is well. :D

Hey Red, yeah everything is ok, I have found that I have so much to do I hardly ever get to respond or post to this thread. lol

I havent gotten the betta's just yet, I might get some this week if the budget permits, since I have to put them all in at the same time so I need the cash for a half dozen at least. :)

The 90g is fine as usual, the 60g is home to a few corals, still trying to get the lighting just right. The 40b just caused a mini flood tonight, didnt change the filter sock out quick enough and it overflowed and then went on the floor. As for the 180g, I lost one of the mated filefish, the one left is looking so sad..... They were always together so I hope he makes it. i havent seen him eat any food other than eating the algae sheets I put in the tank. :-( Not sure what killed the one filefish, it had a spot that looked like a cotton ball on his one side. That could have been from floating overnight in the water dead. Not sure.....All the other fish seem fine and are eating like pigs.

How are your two little clowns? Sooo cute!!!! Wish I could buy more of em.....hehehe

I'm sorry about the filefish. :( I'm happy to hear that the fish are eating like pigs, that's always good to hear! The 90g is my favorite, and it's hassle free! Best of both worlds! My clowns are pretty good! The Black Ice is still a bit of a naughty fish, but he is much better. I'm thinking next weekend is when I will make another addition to the tank. :) Taking things nice and slow!

I totally understand about being busy, I hope things settle down for you soon (unless it's a good busy!) :D

OOOO a new fish soon? Whats it gonna be? Purple firefish? maybe a goby? lol I love happy fish. I know I keep the big ones and love them too, but I don't pass by the big fish tanks and go "awww how cute" like I do when I mess with the 40b. lol I mean the tangs are uber cool, huge and thick and funny but nothing says cute like a clownfish. :-D

OOOO a new fish soon? Whats it gonna be? Purple firefish? maybe a goby? lol I love happy fish. I know I keep the big ones and love them too, but I don't pass by the big fish tanks and go "awww how cute" like I do when I mess with the 40b. lol I mean the tangs are uber cool, huge and thick and funny but nothing says cute like a clownfish. :-D

So true!

I currently have a Purple Firefish, which I love, but my mean Clown seems to be getting aggressive again after calming down for a while...oh dear!

I was thinking a Goby would be a good option!

It's been awhile so I figured an update was in order. :)

Some things have gone well and well, some nor so well. First off, the 90g. I lost the sixline one night, fine at bedtime and dead and half eaten by morning. I suspect the banana wrasse had something to do with it, the sixline had been in there for years, he was actually the oldest fish in the tank I believe. He never grew though and stayed small which I guess is how he got eaten. If that wasnt bad enough the lunar wrasse has something wrong with his one eye and has been hiding under a rock for the last week. Not eating, not moving much. I keep thinking he is dead but he surprises me and moves. So, not expecting him to make it but would be nice if he did.
The 180g: Still running well, no real losses I don't think. I have lost like 3 chromis over the last year, which considering that they are chromis isnt horrible. Though any loss stinks but with these guys its almost expected.
The 40b:
A nightmare of algae. No matter how many water changes I do and how little I feed I still have a mad algae issue. I have moved out alot of the coral over to the 60 and even removed some of the algae rock and have it sitting in an old 5g tank so it doesnt lose its bacteria. I expect to sell the 40b as a complete setup, minus the fish of course.
ANd finally, the 60g. Went thru a small algae phase but it seems to be settling down finally. There was a firefish and the lawnmower blenny in there so I figured it would be safe to add a fish. So, what do you think I added? LOL How about a teeny tiny little naso tang?!?! He is about as long as the firefish and I have had him since I think black friday weekend. he is eating like a pig and begs for food so I think i might actually have a winner finally as far as naso tangs. I'm guessing I will be able to keep him in the 60g for a few months before he will need the 180g but I hope to have him acclimated and very happy before then so he can make it in that 180g. This guy is a definite hawaiin tang, spoke to the owner and he said its `100%. All the previous naso's were from indonesia which I think will play a big role in their survival. I was also informed that "blonde" naso do not come from hawaii, EVER., which makes a total liar out of the stores that told me the blondes I bought this last year were from hawaii. Makes me angry that I got taken for a fool. But I guess we all learn something everyday.

Once I sell the 40b I think I will start pricing out upgrades to the 180g. Nothing set in stone yet, just wanna get an idea of where I would be at budget wise if I went ahead and setup a monster tank. Kinda getting tired of all the water changes on all these tanks and would love a huge tank where I could put all my fish in once and for all. I'd like to be at the 400g range but not sure. My fave lfs just setup a 400g in store, just havent gotten a chance to inquire about the specifics what with the holidays and all.
But thats all folks, yet another LOOOOONGGGG post by me! lol

Sorry about the Sixline. I am so happy you got a good Naso, they're amazing fish. You'll have to keep us up to date on this upgrade business :) ....I will totally be living vicariously! I remember that thread very well "Carey's LAST Build - 125g Reef," haha not quite the last. :lol: That's so awesome that you are brainstorming new tank ideas. :)

I am glad things overall are going good, glad to hear!

Thanks Red! I've been so busy with the Holidays i havent had much time to post. :)

I also forgot to mention I bought 2 pretty large red bubble tip anemones for the 60g. Like a week later after I put them in the tank one split, so now I have three pretty big rbta's. I am thinking of asking the fellow reefer that I got them from if he has any more and making it an anemone tank pretty much. The clowns from the 40g will eventually end up in the 60g so maybe I'll get lucky and they will host one.

Naso is still doing well, I dread having him in such a small tank but if you think about it and you QT'd your fish he would be in a much much smaller tank for at least two months so he should do ok. He doesnt seem to be a big swimmer, at least not just yet.

Wow, an anemone tank sounds fantastic and interesting, that would be fun! I have always thought about an anemone, but never took the plunge. It seems likely the Clowns from the 40g would want to host, after all they will have sooooo many options!

I know what you mean about being busy over the holiday season. I have been pretty busy also but am getting back on top of things and be back on here much more frequently!

Back
Top Bottom