Careys Tank(s) Lots of Pictures, Questions & Thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks good so far. You can't mention the great stand and not show a picture of it though. Sorry, not allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Carey, you just violated the photo dump rules. False advertising is not allowed. I'm going to have to see the stand pictures your be been promising for the past six months, like right now.

hehe I know I have posted pictures of the new stand that came with the 60g, so not sure which stand is the one you guys are talking about. lol

But anyways, before I jump into warcraft figured I'd give a general rundown of the tanks. :)

Might photo bomb the thread later tomorrow, lol, the tanks are looking pretty good for the most part.

125g cichlid tank: This tank is fully stocked now with about 15 medium sized fish. They started out just a few months ago at about an inch each and some are bigger than 3 inches already! My simplest tank to maintain and a favorite cause of that very reason. lol

34g freshwater betta rescue tank: My newest tank is still cycling in the kitchen. Plans are still for about 10 female bettas and maybe a couple of other swimmy type fish. Still working on this tank. I have a HUGE bundle of live plants coming this week from a fellow forum member so that should be interesting as i have zero skill with live plants.

90g fowlr: Another favorite tank. Sooo easy to maintain still. Everything is running well in this tank, still have my turbo snails in there as well as the urchins and starfish. All of them are about 3 years old too. Funny how some inverts can outlast fish, never expected to have a 3 year old snail. I still have two slots open in this tank, but no idea what to get. Probably a wrasse and who knows what else.lol

60g Rimless Reef: I have all the toys for this tank and it still is a pain to deal with. I cant really get under the tank tot he sump, even with the new taller stand. :-( I ended up putting the tunze skimmer back into the actual tank as I have been running it for weeks with no skimmer. Great skimmer I might add, it started pulling a light skim immediately after I plugged it in. Tunze makes a great line of products apparently. I am also ready for fish for this tank but again, not really any clue what to add. NO sand sifters!! other than that i am open to suggestions. I moved quite a few corals over to the 60g today too, including the pearly bubble thing and a leather that had been getting munched on from the 180g. Stupid filefish. On the bright side, I have no aipastia. haha

40g breeder reef: I have been thinking that if the 60g takes off well I may end up selling this tank. :-( It just takes up so much room and is so limited by the lighting that I am not sure if it's worth keeping. Might be better to just find another tank setup and start new. The tank itself is pretty easy to work on, but I have been plaqued by algae on the on side of the tank since I started it. I don't know, this tank, while I like it, I don't love it. Stay tuned for updates.
And finally, woohoo, the 180g. I am still not 100% pleased with the tank now. I have the 12 bulb t5 back over it and it looks alot better but without the ATI bulbs the color is just meh. My king size hermit crab is just sitting and doing nothing, my filefish eat most of the coral I add to the tank and i still havent set up the ato yet so its a pain eveyr day to add water to. BUT not like I am gonna sell it. Just need to work out the kinks I guess.

So if you made it through that whole post, congratulations! You are a champ! lol I appreciate it if you did though. :)

Having mixed emotions from that post Carey!
It's too bad about the 40b, it's a nice tank.
Hopefully the 60 cube will get up and running beautifully!
As for the 180, I can only imagine the giant maintenance tasks that come with such a big tank!

Well, I don't mind the work, it's the accessibility that gets me. lol The 90 has such a tall stand that you just kinda reach down a bit. The 180g and the 60g require me to actually get on the floor to do stuff. The 40 is just too small of a stand and not enough sump.

I don't think I will be parting with the 40 for a while yet, still wanna get the 60g stabilized and make sure everything is happy under the light.

hehe I know I have posted pictures of the new stand that came with the 60g, so not sure which stand is the one you guys are talking about. lol

But anyways, before I jump into warcraft figured I'd give a general rundown of the tanks. :)

Might photo bomb the thread later tomorrow, lol, the tanks are looking pretty good for the most part.

125g cichlid tank: This tank is fully stocked now with about 15 medium sized fish. They started out just a few months ago at about an inch each and some are bigger than 3 inches already! My simplest tank to maintain and a favorite cause of that very reason. lol

34g freshwater betta rescue tank: My newest tank is still cycling in the kitchen. Plans are still for about 10 female bettas and maybe a couple of other swimmy type fish. Still working on this tank. I have a HUGE bundle of live plants coming this week from a fellow forum member so that should be interesting as i have zero skill with live plants.

90g fowlr: Another favorite tank. Sooo easy to maintain still. Everything is running well in this tank, still have my turbo snails in there as well as the urchins and starfish. All of them are about 3 years old too. Funny how some inverts can outlast fish, never expected to have a 3 year old snail. I still have two slots open in this tank, but no idea what to get. Probably a wrasse and who knows what else.lol

60g Rimless Reef: I have all the toys for this tank and it still is a pain to deal with. I cant really get under the tank tot he sump, even with the new taller stand. :-( I ended up putting the tunze skimmer back into the actual tank as I have been running it for weeks with no skimmer. Great skimmer I might add, it started pulling a light skim immediately after I plugged it in. Tunze makes a great line of products apparently. I am also ready for fish for this tank but again, not really any clue what to add. NO sand sifters!! other than that i am open to suggestions. I moved quite a few corals over to the 60g today too, including the pearly bubble thing and a leather that had been getting munched on from the 180g. Stupid filefish. On the bright side, I have no aipastia. haha

40g breeder reef: I have been thinking that if the 60g takes off well I may end up selling this tank. :-( It just takes up so much room and is so limited by the lighting that I am not sure if it's worth keeping. Might be better to just find another tank setup and start new. The tank itself is pretty easy to work on, but I have been plaqued by algae on the on side of the tank since I started it. I don't know, this tank, while I like it, I don't love it. Stay tuned for updates.
And finally, woohoo, the 180g. I am still not 100% pleased with the tank now. I have the 12 bulb t5 back over it and it looks alot better but without the ATI bulbs the color is just meh. My king size hermit crab is just sitting and doing nothing, my filefish eat most of the coral I add to the tank and i still havent set up the ato yet so its a pain eveyr day to add water to. BUT not like I am gonna sell it. Just need to work out the kinks I guess.

So if you made it through that whole post, congratulations! You are a champ! lol I appreciate it if you did though. :)

I did, I made it through the whole post, lol! Too funny. Nice updates, I love the ninety gallon fowlr too, it is probably my favorite. Keep up the good work! And don't worry, we all always have something to improve upon in our tanks. ☺

Grrrrr....sometimes I think I know it all, or enough anyways and then something comes up that makes me wonder if I know anything at all. lol

The 60 rimless just vexes me...I don't get it for some reason. I can usually get a vibe or some stupid thing and actually be in sync with my tank...You people who have tanks for years probably know exactly what I mean. lol But the algae in this tank is driving me crazy!!!! I used ro./di water at 0tds, checked it going in. Then used partially new sand and the sand from before, which wasnt really dirty since I never had fish in it with that sand. I tested for silicates, zero. tested for nitrates zero. I only have coral in this tank and have never fed it at all. No dosing, no feeding the corals at all. I have no idea what is fueling the algae. And its different algae now, its kinda spongey or poofy bright green. Like fuzz. And to top it off Now I have cyano building up. That doesnt surprise me though as every single tank I have setup had it in the beginning, I dose chemipure and then poof gone and never comes back.
I have good flow from a mp10 and the radion set at 40%. It doesnt get much ambient light from outside as its in between the sliding door and the windows, both of which have blinds.

Any ideas guys? I always preach water changes, up the flow, test what you can and cut back photo period and watch what you feed.

Just clueless as to what to do next. I am baffled.
lol

I'm having the same issue as you in my 29 Carey except with gha. Can't figure it out so I'm pinpointing it to rocks leaching it out. Just keep fighting!

I'm going to give Nualgi a try in my reef, as I gave bubble and a couple others (with near zero Phosphate). I have not seen anything bad about it, so I figure might as well.

I dosed tonight with chemiclean so hopefully it will be gone in the morning. I have been adding algaefix every 3 days and it seems to half way kill off the fuzzy green stuff.

But I really need someones help with my light. I have the radion but can't seem to get the programming down right. What I need is someone with the same light to either email a file with the program they are using or maybe hold my hand as far as explaining things. Half the corals in the tank are loving the light and half are not liking it at all.
The leathers are really liking it but all the acans are closed. The two bubble tips havent opened since they split either. But they havent moved either which they tend to do when they are unhappy somewhere. So it beats me.....
Help if you can! Or any suggestions are welcome as well.

Sorry to hear about the issues with the 60g. I agree, I know so very little on the equipment/maintenance side of things. Livestock is where I seem to do okay! LOL. I am currently getting my 29g ready for a nice big overhaul...then it's time for some new friends for the tank. :)

Very cool, looking forward to seeing what you come up with Red. :)

I cut the lights off early in the 60g and the chemiclean took care of only a little bit of the red slime. Gonna give it another day and then maybe do a water change.
I've even tested the incoming ro/di water to make sure I wasnt bringing in phosphates or nitrates or even silicates but it all came back zero.
sigh**

Carey, how is the Betta tank going? :) Sooo curious!

I'm hoping the 60g cooperates with you soon! :)

The betta tank has some plants, live ones, lol, for now anyways. Due to budget constraints this month the actual betta fish had to be postponed. lol I'm hoping in the next 2 weeks or so. Me and the hubby have been looking at them in petco and walmart and just seeing whats out there. Found a couple real beauties at petco, so hopefully we find some similar when its time. :)

The 60g is still not right. The corals are coming around a wee little bit as of this morning. The two anemones are coming out like less than a quarter inch, just enough to see the tips. They have been completely closed since they went in so thats an improvement. Still have the algae going on, planning a water change for today actually, for both the 40 and the 60g. Hoping that perks things up. I am kinda wondering if the cement stuff we used to bond the rock has anything to do with the issues I am having. I tested for silicates though with nothing, I even tested for copper just for kicks, with nothing.
The darn 60g is always my problem child. LOL And the 40 right behind it. lol

The 180g runs pretty easy and the 90 you barely know you have to do maintenance on it. hehe
The 180g is doing well, the few corals I have in there have taken to the t5's again and all is well. Got a good amount of coralline growing everywhere, especially where I cant reach it. The 90 is good as well, still thinking of a fish or two to add to that tank. I'm thinking wrasses but who knows with me! haha

Back
Top Bottom