Catastrophic move

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, I had about the worst possible move from one house to another. My help didn't arrive on the day scheduled, so I had to do the entire move in 1 day. The temps went from the 40-50's on the good day, to -15 on the day I was forced to move. I still managed to transport about 90% of my water, all the rock etc. Got my corals in tubs with heat and circulation. But unfortunately I might as well have tossed them out the window on the drive over.

My skimmer broke during the move, my RO filter has ceased to function for some still unknown reason, my canopy broke, as did one of my lights.

I lost my yellow tang(stress), mandarin(stress), and one of my chromis(pump accident). I lost almost all of my coral, and the few pieces I have left are still kind of iffy. And my entire house cycles through periods of normal smelling, to month old seafood sitting on the sidewalk. More than nauseating as I pull each piece from the tank.

The tank didn't cycle, never had ammonia bump or anything, but 'trates are huge and the whole tank has diatoms and hair alage as it slowly stabilizes. Fortunately, there's not much else that can go wrong at this point, so I feel I have hit rock bottom.

As for the future, I've decided to do a built in 150/180 gallon tank in my new family room. So my current tank will run as is until the new one is up and running. I'd rather start new than build upon the rubble.

Anyway, the mistakes were made and I violated many of my own personal rules during the move, and I've had to pay the price for doing so. Just thougt I'd vent for a bit.

Back
Top Bottom