Originally Posted by BBReef
i would personally get rid of it. if there is nothing in the tank, pull off as much of as you can. the stuff is pretty noxious and if goes sexual it can poison the tank. killing everything in it including itself. by pulling off large sections of it it will hopefully crash. fish and other inverts that eat large portions of it can can be poisoned as well. it will aslo eventually cover everything cuzz they grow rather quickly and will kill coral as well. so if i were you id remove it before putting anything else in there.
I agree and disagree with this....
The toxins released by caulerpa when pruned or bitten (grazers) can be a source of irritation to the other corals and the inhabitants, but simply running carbon on a regular basis will remove the toxins just as it would if we were talking about shrooms
and leathers. Chemical war fare is normal...its just something you have to find a way around.
As far as it going sexual, this can be a problem...but its easily solved. By simply keeping two different type of Caulerpa in the tank, any spore released into the tank will be handled by the 2nd type. You can also run carbon as well as 20% water changes.
I do agree that Caulerpa will most definitely over run your tank unless you have something in the system to consume it. If you have grape macro, and a yellow tang...you will be fine.
I have a good article on this topic if anyone wishes to read it.