Caulerpa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flynnternet

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought my LR from my LFS. It had been in a reef tank of theirs for 3 years that they were breaking down. It's covered with what I think is both grape and razor caulerpa (I surmise this from reading the forum and seeing a few pics). In fact, it's even spread to rock that was bare of it before.

Obviosuly when I bought it I had no clue. I see some people hate it, others use it in 'fuges. I have been pulling off the very long branches, but that's all. SHould I get rid of it completely, or at least much of it? If so, how? Can I just pull it out best I can?

Before I put any livestock in there I'd love to get this squared away (I'm still cycling).

Well, if your are planning to keep tangs, then it would be best kept alone. If the tang finishes it off, i would manifest some more in a fuge. If you dont like it get rid of it.

P-MAN

i would personally get rid of it. if there is nothing in the tank, pull off as much of as you can. the stuff is pretty noxious and if goes sexual it can poison the tank. killing everything in it including itself. by pulling off large sections of it it will hopefully crash. fish and other inverts that eat large portions of it can can be poisoned as well. it will aslo eventually cover everything cuzz they grow rather quickly and will kill coral as well. so if i were you id remove it before putting anything else in there.

BBReef said:
i would personally get rid of it. if there is nothing in the tank, pull off as much of as you can. the stuff is pretty noxious and if goes sexual it can poison the tank. killing everything in it including itself. by pulling off large sections of it it will hopefully crash. fish and other inverts that eat large portions of it can can be poisoned as well. it will aslo eventually cover everything cuzz they grow rather quickly and will kill coral as well. so if i were you id remove it before putting anything else in there.

I agree and disagree with this....

The toxins released by caulerpa when pruned or bitten (grazers) can be a source of irritation to the other corals and the inhabitants, but simply running carbon on a regular basis will remove the toxins just as it would if we were talking about shrooms and leathers. Chemical war fare is normal...its just something you have to find a way around.

As far as it going sexual, this can be a problem...but its easily solved. By simply keeping two different type of Caulerpa in the tank, any spore released into the tank will be handled by the 2nd type. You can also run carbon as well as 20% water changes.

I do agree that Caulerpa will most definitely over run your tank unless you have something in the system to consume it. If you have grape macro, and a yellow tang...you will be fine.

I have a good article on this topic if anyone wishes to read it.

Squishy

Yes, please post a link to it. I majorly pruned it today, but it may come back. I'd love to be more knowledgable in the event that happens, especially since a Yellow Tang is on my list of fish I'd like to eventually keep.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I thought I had it on our site...apparently not. Give me a few hours and I will find it.

I see from another topic that Tangs are not advisable for tanks uder 55gal. Since mine is 29gal, I suppose a Yellow Tang is out for me.

Well, I've pulled out as much Caulerpa as I could, perhaps too hastily. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens now.

Back
Top Bottom