Chilling suggestions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdjxt39

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok I just realized this I am going to be out of town for 4 days later this month, which means I am going to have to turn off the AC for those days.

This leaves me worried because today was insanely warm I turned off my AC at 9 AM came back to 8 PM tonight and the tank went from 76 to 80 degrees. If those days I am gone are anywhere near today's temperatures I can't imagine what the temperature of the tank will be after 4 full days of no AC.

I checked out tank chillers they are all way out of the budget, are there any other practical things I can do to minimize the temperature raise besides just saying w/e and leaving the AC on the whole time.

Losing your tank could cost more then the slight savings of not running your AC for 4 days.

Rapid fluctuations in temperature can cause sickness/death in many fish/inverts and it’s better to set your heater higher i.e. 80-82 degrees to keep fluctuations down during the night if running without AC. Any temperature higher then 85 degrees is pushing it IMO.

You don’t list any fish/inverts in your “my info” and if you still don’t have any then it’s not as critical to maintain temperature.

If you do have fish/inverts then I’d run your tank without lights during the 4 days gone and keep your AC set slightly higher like around 80 to maintain a constant temp. As Mike mentioned fans help greatly to keep the temps down but will do little to help if the room is 90+.

I have a clip on fan attached to wood canopy. Works great, agitates the water but unfortunately speeds up evaporation. I also have the fan plugged into the same timer as the lights so it doesn't run at night

Assuming you have central air and not a window unit, a programmable thermostat is great to have. They are readily available a t Lowes or Home Depot for about $50. I have mine programmed to keep the house at 82° max in the hot afternoon when I'm at work. Should you decide to go that route I can walk you through selecting one and wiring it up.

Losing your tank could cost more then the slight savings of not running your AC for 4 days.

Good Point.

I run my AC everyday while I am at work on low. The electric bill shows but in New Engand I only have to do it for about 3 months.

I might add, a programable t-stat works in the winter on the furnace as well. In fact, I love mine. It reminds me when to change the filter, shows my daily, weekly and monthly energy usage, has a vacation mode and has a Timex Indiglo backlight among other things. It's probably saved me several hundred dollars in the 2 years I've had it.

Back
Top Bottom