classroom setting up 10 gal. QT this afternoon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Todays test results.

10 gal.
pH 7.8
ammonia 0
nitrite .25
nitrate 80

30 gal.
pH 7.8
ammonia .25
nitrite 1
nitrate 80

If you can find out what rock the mantis is in; I'd remove that rock. That's what I had to do. I wouldn't add any fish until you find it, as they sometimes do eat fish (that's what I sometimes feed mine :) )

Mantis shrimp are pretty smart you might have a hard time getting it with a bottle trap. They actually learn who feeds them and will beg for food. I have seen a couple of them they aren't the cutest things around but they are quite the little characters. If I found one I would have to make a species only tank for it.

Our power went out onSaturday night, and I didn't hear any clicking/snapping sounds - so I'm thinking the noise that I heard was possibly coming from one of the filters or maybe we trapped the shrimp and didn't realize it.?

Here are today's test results. Not quite there, but getting closer!

10 gal.
pH 7.8
ammonia 0
nitrite between 0 and .25
nitrate 80
SG 1.026
temp. 79 F
calcium 460 ppm

30 gal.
pH 7.8
ammonia 0
nitrite 1
nitrate 40
SG 1.026
temp. 78 F
calcium 460 ppm

themartins said:
Our power went out onSaturday night, and I didn't hear any clicking/snapping sounds - so I'm thinking the noise that I heard was possibly coming from one of the filters or maybe we trapped the shrimp and didn't realize it.?

Here are today's test results. Not quite there, but getting closer!

10 gal.
pH 7.8
ammonia 0
nitrite between 0 and .25
nitrate 80
SG 1.026
temp. 79 F
calcium 460 ppm

30 gal.
pH 7.8
ammonia 0
nitrite 1
nitrate 40
SG 1.026
temp. 78 F
calcium 460 ppm

Occasionally my heater clicks, maybe that's it?

The 10 is fully cycled, yeah! We'll check the levels again tomorrow morning to be sure that we have a full 48 hours of 0 ammonia and nitrite and then do a water change to bring down the nitrates to as close to 0 as possible.

10 gallon test results:
pH 7.8
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10
SG 1.026
temp. 78 F

We plan to purchase our first fish by this weekend. Should we continue dosing ammonia to feed the BB until we get the fish? If so, how much should we dose? We have decided that our first fish purchase is going to be a mated pair of ocellaris clownfish, if our LFS can get them for us. We'd also like to get a feather duster at the same time as we've seen clownfish take to them as they would an anemone. We'd also like to get a few snails and maybe a scarlet hermit crab. Are we going to fast? Would that be too much for the bio load? Also, should we wait on the snails and hermit crab until we have more algae or can we just feed them algae wafers, algae sheets, and shrimp pellets?

In another week or 2 we'd like to add another fish, maybe a firefish or a watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair......any suggestions? We plan to keep the 10 gal. as a nano FOWLR. Do you have any opinions, fish suggestions, or invetebrate suggestions that you would like to share with us? Please let us know what you like best about the fish or invetebrate you suggest. We'll research all stocking suggestions over the next 1 - 2 weeks and then take a family vote on what will finish out our 10 gallon set up. We'll be sure to let you know how the voting goes!

30 gallon test results:
pH 7.8
ammonia 0
nitrite .5
nitrate 20
SG 1.025
temp. 78 F

Last night I held my ear up to the 30 gal. aquarium to find out where the clicking was coming from, and it's definately the Whisper filter. The clicking sound stops when it's turned off; it's just strange that I've only noticed the sound at night......maybe because it keeps me awake thinking it's a mantis shrimp.

I think your initial stock list is fine. The fish will be the bulk of the bio-load and the CUC will actually help to offset that a bit. As for the Feather Duster I can't help you there. I have never really checked into them. I plan on it though because I think I am going to get one. We have a couple of small ones that popped out of our LR and my wife thinks they are pretty soooooooo, I figure might as well get a big one. :) You shouldn't have to feed the crabs. They will get all they need from the left over food from the fish and from the waste that collects on the sand bed. As for dosing ammonia between now and when you get fish, I don't think you need to. If you want, it wouldn't hurt except that you will be generating Nitrate that you will want to get rid of before putting the fish in. I could be wrong but I think the BB will do fine for a few days without dosing.

That sounds good. We'll check out liveaquaria.com to see about feather duster care and their requirements.

Does anyone have a large feather duster that their clownfish host?

You don't want to go too long without an ammonia source, so if it takes longer than planned.. add a little.

I've read about clownfish hosting all kinds of things. xenias, fake plants, ceramics.. anything lol

Yesterday's results on the 10 gal. were a little dissappointing. It's good that we waited.

Here are today's results. We're anxious to get fish!

A question: There is a pile that looks like dead worms on the sand in the 30 gallon tank...... Could it possibly be excrement from something?

10 gal.
pH 7.8
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 20

30 gal.
pH 7.8
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 40

A question: There is a pile that looks like dead worms on the sand in the 30 gallon tank...... Could it possibly be excrement from something?

If it is, I would have to be a pretty big "something" to leave that much behind in one place. Can you post a picture of it?

Is this a pile of dead worms or excrement? We've noticed this since day 1. The picture was actually taken a few weeks back. The pile has grown a little each day. There is a peanut worm, at least that's what we think it is, that's living in one of the live rocks just above where this pile is, but think it's probably too much excrement for it to be from that. Also, still a little unsure about the clicking sounds at night. We haven't seen anything, just have heard clicking sounds. Also, some of the feather dusters that we once had growing on the LR are gone. Do you have any idea of what this is and what we can do?

Attachments

• worms.jpg
    worms.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
We posted the picture in the ID forum as well; hopefully someone will be able to help.

Here are today's test results for the 10 gal. It's been 48 hours with both ammonia and nitrites reading 0, so I think it's now fully cycled. We also did a 4 gal. water change, bringing the nitrates now to 10.....Should we do another 4 gal. water change to bring the nitrates lower, or is 10 low enough to purchase our first fish.
pH 7.8
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 20 (before the water change)
SG 1.027
temp. 78 F

30 gal. test results. The 30 is close to being cycled too, and we did a 12 gal. water change.
pH 7.8
ammonia 0
nitrite .25
nitrate 20
SG 1.026
temp. 76 F

test results after12 gal. water change on 30 gal.
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0

While many say 10 is more than acceptable for fish, 0 is better. :) For me, I would do one more water change and then head to the lfs for my fish. :) I want to see some pics when they are in the tank.

Our first purchases: 1 peppermint shrimp, 1 firefish goby, & 1 snail - all slowly acclimating at the moment. We'll post some pictures soon.

Back
Top Bottom