Clean-up crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 46gal FOWLR seems to be fully cycled. Ammonia, nitrite & nitrate are zero. Before I put in a few clowns and a blenny or two I was thinking of adding a clean-up crew.

I looked at packages on liveaquaria.com but haven't a clue where to start. Crabs, snails, cucumbers,nubibranch(sp) sea stars, brittle stars, who knows.

Here is the packages I was looking at: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=420

Got any suggestions?

Scarlet hermits and nassarius are my favorites, but I also have blue legged, a few turbos and astreas.

Are stars, cucumbers and/or nudibranchs a good idea too?

Stars, cucs, and nudibranchs are a bit more sensitive. I'd go with some snails (nassarius/llynassa snails rock) and hermits to start. I have blue-legged hermits, one scarlet, and a few astreas. My hermits ate every single one of my 50 llynassa snails and turbo snails...then moved into their shells. A lot of people just don't get hermits for this reason, so its completely up to you. IMO, good reccomendations from Bearfan.

Stars, cucs, and nudibranchs are a bit more sensitive. I'd go with some snails (nassarius/llynassa snails rock) and hermits to start

I agree. Those critters might need a little bit more of an established tank. I use that page to get an idea of what I wanted, and just reduced the number of each. I put about 3 set of 12 different snails in my 55G. I need more but, that has helped for now. On the hermits, they will kill your snails, if the snail's shell is bigger. I would suggest getting a few hermits and make sure you purchase some bigger, empty shells either from LFS or possibly a craft store.

Back
Top Bottom