combining 2 nano reefs into a 46g bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clearerphish

Aquarium Advice Activist
today I am going to combine both nano reefs into a 46g bowfront.

Am I correct in thinking if I add all my exisiting LR to normal PH seawater of the proper temp that I will not need to cycle? I will basically be setting the bowfront up while leaving the other two tanks up, then moving the LR/corals/fish into the bowfront as I disassemble both nanos and clean the tanks for resale.

Should I just go on and cycle for 30 days? I could leave both tanks up if there is a need, but for space/time considerations I'd like to just go on and handle it today.

All responses appreciated.

you should be fine transferring everything over all at once. how old are these nanos? if they are older than 6 months, i would probably not want to move the sand over.

both have been up for around 4 years - thanks for the note about the sand. I'm planning to put new sand in and then seed it with 2 cups from each tank. It's been awhile since I did anything other than a pwc though so I just needed a little confirmation before I started going all crazy.

You may be able to just put in the new sand without seeding any live sand since you have a really good amount of live rock that is cycled and ready to go. The old sand is most likely full of chemicals you dont' want to put in a new tank anyways. Stirring up the old sand can release them, especially nitrates, I had that issue with a tank upgrade myself. :)

6215526551_804ef2549e_b.jpg

(y)

Back
Top Bottom