Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Confused about cyno and diatoms

I'm confused about cyno and diatoms. I have both.
I'm in the process of turning a 37 gal FOWLR in to a reef. It has been set up for 4 yrs with only 1 pajama fish and 4 nasarius snails. I've recently put in new lights, 2 actinic and 2 T5s. 2 weeks ago I added 4 peppermint shrimp, which are doing a number on the aptasia, and 15 small blue knee hermits. I now have cyno and diatoms.

My water parameters are: Ph 8.0, ammonia 0, nitrates 0, Alk norm, phos 0. I've been keeping the actinic light on for 10hrs and T5s for 6. Yesterday I turned them off since the room it is in gets plenty of natural daylight, no direct sunlight. I've been doing weekly 20% water changes with distilled r/o for 3 weeks and I only feed every 2 or 3 days.

I know I disturbed the sand bed trying to vacuum the cyno. From what I understand when you do this is may release the silicas from the sand and then you get diatoms. Is this correct? If you disturb the sand bed why would you want animals (nassarius snail) to stir it up? Am I doing everything right and just need to be patient?

Thanks for any advice,
Jill

Old 08-16-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyswife
I'm confused about cyno and diatoms. I have both.
I'm in the process of turning a 37 gal FOWLR in to a reef. It has been set up for 4 yrs with only 1 pajama fish and 4 nasarius snails. I've recently put in new lights, 2 actinic and 2 T5s. 2 weeks ago I added 4 peppermint shrimp, which are doing a number on the aptasia, and 15 small blue knee hermits. I now have cyno and diatoms.

My water parameters are: Ph 8.0, ammonia 0, nitrates 0, Alk norm, phos 0. I've been keeping the actinic light on for 10hrs and T5s for 6. Yesterday I turned them off since the room it is in gets plenty of natural daylight, no direct sunlight. I've been doing weekly 20% water changes with distilled r/o for 3 weeks and I only feed every 2 or 3 days.

I know I disturbed the sand bed trying to vacuum the cyno. From what I understand when you do this is may release the silicas from the sand and then you get diatoms. Is this correct? If you disturb the sand bed why would you want animals (nassarius snail) to stir it up? Am I doing everything right and just need to be patient?

Thanks for any advice,
Jill
I have 25 tongan nass snails in my 55 idea here is they keep the sand stirred releasing only a lil at a time if your sandbed hasn been disturbed in 4 years and then gets moved around ya youll have issues

Old 08-16-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks,that makes sense. With my diatom and cyno issues, is it okay to get some more snails now? I know I could use more.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:08 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Sounds more like "old tank" syndrome. There is usually a ton of stuff that builds up in the sandbed and around your rockwork. It builds up over time and will eventually cause issues like this. Siphoning out the buildup around the rocks will help. Siphon out the cyano as well.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
Sounds more like "old tank" syndrome. There is usually a ton of stuff that builds up in the sandbed and around your rockwork. It builds up over time and will eventually cause issues like this. Siphoning out the buildup around the rocks will help. Siphon out the cyano as well.
Thats excactly why i have all the nass snails keeps sand stirred not allowing all the buildup i keep tongan nassarius their alot bigger 1-1 1/2"
Old 08-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post

Makes sense, I guess I'm off to the LFS to pick up some snails. Thanks, guys

Jill

Tags
diatom, diatoms

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com