confused about SW cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxima423

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok so i get that you would need 1 shrimp per 30g ( thats what i read from the article ) and you let it decompose for a week, test nitrites and so on, the thing that i am a little confused about is, after the shrimp is gone, do i need to add more shrimp until nitrites start to fall??

I dont personally agree with the 30 gallon rule. Just put 1 or 2 medium size shrimp in there depending on size of tank. Maybe 55 and lower 1 shrimp and over that maybe 2. That should send out enough ammonia. Also BTW the cycle will take longer than a week. Maybe closer to a month.

+1,once the shrimp has just about gone your ammonia should be showing on you test kit,this wil drop to 0 and your nirites will rise,these will then start to lower and nitrates will rise,once you are at this stage with 0 amm and 0 trite do a large PWC every couple of days until the trates are gone then add your CUC,turn on your skimmer(if you have one)and add your first two(max) fish,keep testing and PWC each week then you could add another fish after about 3-4 weeks,

CUC is short for Clean Up Crew. Crabs, snails, worms, stuff that helps keeps the glass and bottom clean of unwanted algae and debris.

Back
Top Bottom