Converting 36 gallon freshwater tank to saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Copenhagen_cowboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been reading back on a few threads and trying to do my homework but I still have some questions. I have a 36 gallon bow front tank, 200 watt heater, fluval c3 clip on filter and the light says it is a full spectrum t8. I am wanting to put live sand and rock in with a few fish and shrimp. I would also like some coral frags and anemone. First question:

- other than buying a protein skimmer and power head does the rest of my equipment sound suitable including my light?

-How do I need to prep my tank as far as cleaning it before I set it back up?

-after it's running for about 24 hours then do I just add the live sand and rock?

-how long before it is safe to add shrimp or fish?

I would say that with a protein skimmer and powerheads you don't need a filter at all, just my opinion. Use plenty of live rock for filtration (suggested 1-2 pounds per gallon) as for cleaning I have used vinegar because I am too afraid to use bleach or chemicals!
One it's clean you can add rocks, then sand, then water. I buy my saltwater pre made but I have heard that for the initial fill you can add salt straight into the tank. For future PWC you will need to do it in a separate container with a heater and a powerhead to mix. Make sure you are using quality water, not tap!
I would invest in a saltwater test kit so you can measure ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph through your cycle. Do a bit of research on the cycle process, can take up to 6 weeks to fully cycle before adding fish/corals/inverts. You will need to upgrade your lighting if you wish to keep corals or anemones. Anemones need intense lighting and a mature, stable tank. Most suggest 8 months or more, which is good because it will give you time to get the hang of all things salt! A refractometer is also a handy to ok for measuring salinity. Before you purchase anything ask loads of questions and get advise from here, it's a great site with loads of people that have been there, done that :)

If you ditch the filter you will need one, perhaps 2 powerheads. The skimmer is optional, helpful but not necessary if you keep up with PWC...

That light isnt going to be any good. Spend a couple hundo on a good led pendant or 6 bulb t5 if u plan on a nem. Btw. Dont use tap water

I would suggest 2 powerheads for that size tank, even with the hob filter. I have 2 PHs and 2 hob filters in my 30g. A T8 light will be ok for a FOWLR tank, but won't be enough light to support corals. :(

I would suggest 2 powerheads for that size tank, even with the hob filter. I have 2 PHs and 2 hob filters in my 30g. A T8 light will be ok for a FOWLR tank, but won't be enough light to support corals. :(

+1 i have about 1200 gph turnover in my 39 gallon

So if I keep my filter I have now and just add a protein skimmer and 1 to 2 power heads I shouldn't have any problems? I am just hoping to not have to upgrade to a can filter or sump.

I wouldnt worry about a sump. Honestly a protein skimmer is an OPTION on a tank that size. Your gonna have to do w/c's anyways, i have. 39 skimmerless and sumpless, religious water changes and its all good ive had great success with distilled water as well just made the switch to my own ro/di unit

My 30g only has hob filters and 2 PHs and I've never had cyano, hair algae or any other algae issues. As said, just do weekly PWCs and don't overfeed and you should be fine. :)

My 30g only has hob filters and 2 PHs and I've never had cyano, hair algae or any other algae issues. As said, just do weekly PWCs and don't overfeed and you should be fine. :)

+1 its pwc's is my bible lol

Back
Top Bottom