Coral Beauty in QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm just about to put a coral beauty in QT - would you recommend putting some seaweed in on a clip for him (as well as normal frozen food each day)? If so, will twice a week be enough, leaving the seaweed in for 2 hours before taking the uneaten out?

I would just (actually did for my coral beauty) feed pellet food and the occasional frozen for his time in the QT. I got mine use to nori when I moved him into my main tank as I never feed him that in QT.

I suppose you could do what you are asking so long as the pieces aren't too big and you do take it out within the 2 hour time frame you are speaking of.

Well, if the nori isn't going to benefit him while he's in the QT then I won't bother :)

I'll just stick to the usual frozen mysis/gamma/brine/seaveggies I feed my other fish.

Just remember to go easy on the feeding and remove as much of the uneaten food as you can from the QT system.

Will putting my hand in to remove the food stress the fish, if it's done slowly?

Use a rigid airline pipe attached to the flexi pipe used for airstones. It will be much less intrusive to the fish and much easier for you to target detritus removal without stirring it up and making it harder to remove.

Cheers
Steve

I'm going to use a turkey baster to get the food out, but a lot of it is actually stuck to the bottom and/or turned into powder on the bottom. I won't be able to get all of it out without actually wiping the bottom of the tank (even then it'll be tricky), which I guess will harm the bacteria?

And, when I do my 50% waterchange before I put my fish in after my QT has finished cycling, the foam pads in my filter will be out of the water for a couple of mins. Is this ok? :)

what I did with mine (when she was in qt) was break up a little bit of nori into small pieces. She seemed to enjoy "picking at the smaller pieces.

Yeah, I reckon I'll put a bit of nori in for her when she goes in.

Any ideas on the stuck food on the bottom issue and the filter pads? ;)

I just use a small diameter hose and siphon the leftovers out. Don't worry about stressing the fish. He won't like it at first, but will get used to it. 8O

I still won't be able to get all the food out though, some will be stuck on the bottom (it'd need to be scraped off which I guess will affect bacteria).

I'm just concerned this could contribute to extra ammonia/nitrite?

You will not be able to get it all out. Just get all you can. Make sure you test often, and keep a rigid water change schedule. :wink:

I'm going to be doing 50% every week. Hopefully that'll be ok - I've cycled the QT this time to cut down on the hassle! :p

Yeah, my clownfish freaked the first few times I cleaned the bottom but now they like to charge at the tube. It's kind of cute. Of course, the first time they draw blood the cuteness factor will diminish significantly . . .

;)

So, I shouldn't be worried about some food/powder stuck to the bottom?

Would it be ok to actually wipe the bottom of the tank? Or would this get rid of a lot of bacteria?

If it makes you feel better, go ahead and take a tank scrubber and give it a good scrubbing. Just siphon out all the loose junk that gets stirred up. :wink:

Hey Mark, on a side note: I notice in your threads and post that you are very worried about alot of things. While it is very important to make sure we are doing things right, it is also very important to enjoy your aquarium experience. Don't let every little thing keep you worried or upset. As long as you are doing what you should be doing, let nature handle the rest.

Don't worry Be Happy!! :D :D

:lol: I know...

I just lost 2 fish before in QT, probably because of high nitrites/ammonia, and the fact that several 50% waterchanges didn't bring them down.

I purposefully cycled my QT this time (took 5 weeks!) so that I wouldn't have this problem, so I don't want to leave a load of food in there (stuck to the bottom) and have it mess things up.

I think I'll scrub the bottom and then get my net and catch most of the junk...if you don't think that'll harm the bacteria? Last question I promise.

:p

I dont think it will harm the bacteria at all. :wink:

What kind of filtration do you have in qt?

Do you have pvc fittings? How many?

What size is your qt?

Any PH's?

Sorry if I missed this info before. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom