Coralife Skimmers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SassyAngel111

Aquarium Advice Activist
Good morning everyone!!!!! Hope everyone had a great Easter :lol:

I had just called Coralife to find out where to purchase the replacment pad for their skimmers and the tech that I had spoke to said to use the Marineland bonded pad. I found it at petco for 5.99 per roll.

One other thing, I just bought a pack of the Marineland bonded pad and cut it to size but I still have micro bubbles coming out of the bottom of the diffuser box, and the other day I had add about 10 drops of Kent Marines Essential Elements to my tank, would this cause the micro bubbles or not?

Also I have not had any green or brown gunk in the collection cup for about 3 days now, is this normal? BTW thanks for all of the help. All the info on my tank is in my profile.

The micro bubbles could be air that was pushed out of the pores of the pad or collecting air bubbles drifting in the current. See if maybe the outtake of the skimmer is pushing bubbles out. If so, you might want to get a bubble reducer.

Don't worry if there's nothing in the cup. Just empty it when it's full. So long as those tiny bubbles are at work in the skimmer, it's only going to skim what proteins are floating in the water. It does become more active after feeding, which is why many coral foods advise to turn off the skimmer for a short period of time while feeding any phytoplankton. It skims it out.

I replaced the white pad that came with my CSS125 with a normal 1'' filter pad. The white pad clogs too easily. I bought a roll of regular filter pad that is like 6 ft long and 4 ft wide for $4. I don't have problem with micro bubles escaping the difusser box.

Also, u can put AC and other media in the box :D I love the CSS... so convenient...

I just tried Fluval Water polishing padswhich I think will work, but I am going to have to find a diffuser somewhere still getting a little bit of micro bubbles from the diffuser.

I am getting bubbles from the outlet tube I have tried everything and nothing seems to work (ugh). Might have to call coralife again Monday.

I don't think Coralife make a bubble reducer. I'm not sure, but when you talk to them and if they don't have one ask if the bubble reducer for the CPR BakPak would fit. It might. It's a surface skimmer/bubble reducer for their skimmers. It's a box the intake of the skimmer goes into. The top of the box should be just below the surface of the water. It helps with both surface scum and bubbles.

TCTFish,
No that did not help I have tried adjusting it to where I had very little air going through the main chamber and The micro bubbles are still being forced through the outlet tube.

And that's when a box comes in handy. That happens a lot with CPR BakPak skimmers. A good skimmer but does have it's quirks. The excessive out pouring of tiny bubbles is one of them. They however make a surface skimmer/bubble reducer to solve the problem. IMO, it's a way for the companies to get more of your money. Red Sea Prizm skimmers seem to be effective without the excessive bubbles. It's streamline too so it doesn't look so bulky either.

I'm just not sure what I am going to do. I think if I can't get this figured out I might ask the company to replace it or to refund my money so I can buy a different skimmer.

No I have not tried the PVC returning hose mod. I was missing with it tonight and noticed the red knob on top of the outlet tube is leaking air. I am just going to have to call Coralife and return it and get another one.

Like I said I can even have the grey knob shut off completly and I still get micro bubbles out of the diffuser, which I think since I am getting air out from around the red knob that is were my problem is just IMO.

Sounds like maybe a crack around the knob or a bad o-ring. Do you have a LFS that you could take that into and have them check it out? Some things need to be seen to troubleshoot.

Well I am sending it back I called them today and told them I have done everything that they had said and nothing will work, then I told them that where the red knob is that has air leaking from there and that it will pull up about6" or so.

So hopefuly the next one will work right for me.

As soon as I get it back or a new one from them I will post on how it is working. Thanks again for the help. You guys and gals are great.

Back
Top Bottom