Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-13-2005, 07:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Coralline Success

Hi everyone,

Just wanting to know all successors story on how long it took for their coralline algae's to grow, how they achieved it, was it a rapid growth etc.

usaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:24 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I used to have a lot of coraline algae, till my urchins got larger..they keep it well at bay. A good chunk of liverock that is covered with it is a good idea. Good water quality and sufficient lighting will make it grow well. You also should have a calcium level over 400ish to help it spread. Some people add trace elements such as strontium...and others I can't think of off the top of my head...but IMO its not needed. HTH.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 02:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
Just keep your ALK and CA levels in the upper limits and in three months you might have pretty decent coralline growth. Of course you can speed up this process a bit by using several additives of which calcium gluconate is the one I am most fond of. This will not mess your inorganic calcium levels which corals need.
Homero Cuellar
hcuellart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 02:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
how long after adding live rock with coraline on it, can one expect to see it start growing on the tanks walls and such?

I recently put some new live rock in and it has significant coraline on it. It's only been about a week so i knowi haven't given it enough time just yet....but i have started seeing green algae for the first time on the sides of the tank the last couple of days. My calcium level is at 345ppm. I've been dosing with Kent's Liquid Calcium additive every couple of days. I'm trying to get it at or above the 400ppm mark. I hope the coraline starts growing soon.
75g reef
zenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 01:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to luntiz
IME coraline algae grows on the tank first over growing on the rocks. I dose a 2part cal+alk to keep its growth up. Its finally getting somewhere!!
The Tank

50 Gallon Acrylic Tank (36x15x20)
85lbs Fiji Live Rock
(4) Maxi-Jet 900 (230gph) *Awaiting 2 MJ1200s*

(1) 250W 10,000K Aqualine Aquamedic HQI Hanging Pendant
(5) LED Moonlights

Live Stock

(2) Pink Skunk Clownfishes
Goldstripped Maroon Clownfish
Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish
luntiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 08:03 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to jaiden
It helps if you scratch off a bit of your existing coraline... this spreads it around.
54g all-glass bowfront corner planted FW

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 09:01 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Do a search on the site and you will find tons of posts on this.
No one can say when it will grow, every tank is different. It could take several months or it may take a year to get good growth.
Buy test kits for calcium and alkalinity and test and dose your tank with addidtves to keep the levels up.
I use B-Ionic 2 part system and it is great stuff and easy to use..
9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 11:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Mine started off really slow. A lot of people here will tell you that lighting or wpg has nothing to do with it, but I had a FOWLR tank at first and had less than 1 wpg. I had no coraline growing on the tank and PH's (I did have a lot of purple coraline on the LR, though). Then I upgraded my FOWLR to a reef tank a year later and got new lighting over 4 wpg and the coraline is now growing all on the front a back glass, and anything that is plastic. That's all I changed.

- Mike
125 gal. reef w sump/refugium & 8-bulb 640w T5's
45 gal fresh w/plants + CPF lighting
boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 11:44 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
well, i have 3.5wpg of PC lighting. I'm testing and dosing kent's liquid calcium. I'm moving about 1050 gallons of water per hour so that tank is turning over approx. 14 times per hour. I use ro/di water, and besides my ammonia being about .25ppm right now from new LR dieoff, the nitrates and nitrites are 0.

So hopefully i'll get coraline to grow soon. I'm doing a pwc this weekend and am working on getting the calcium levels up.

I do think i need another ph or two. I've only got two...both of which are on opposite ends of the tank directed at aggitating the surface. I think i need something moving the water at the bottom of the tank more.

Also, i'm a little worried that the turbo snails are eating some of the coraline. While i don't think they are eating much of it, it still seems to get a little eaten up after the turbo snail visits. The one of my turbo snails btw....has gotten huge....he's noticably larger just inside of the last month.
75g reef
zenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 08:49 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak
mine started to appear everywhere @ 1.5 month after tank was set up

75g w/ 30g sump, 160# LR, 60# sand: Inverts =18 turbos, 30 nassirus's, 40 blue leg's, 5 emeralds, 1 CBS, 1 skunk cleaner, 1 brown gulf shrimp? and various other LR hitch hikers yet un discovered or un-ID'ed
Fish=1 yellow tang, 1 yellow headed jawfish, 1 pink/blue shrimpgoby, 2 perc clowns.
Future fish = 1 sixline, 1 lawnmower blenny
mykpoz is offline   Reply With Quote

coral, coralline

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com