Corals vs Anemones For Clown To Host

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MBliss81

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was told that an ocellaris clown will host a frogspawn or hammer coral, and not just anemones. I am starting to convert my fish only tank into a nano reef, and I would like to avoid the difficulties that come with an anemone if I can. Would love more opinions.

-16 gallon bow front
-Emperor 280 power filter with SeaChem De-Nitrate, Purigen and SeaGel media + the usual filter with carbon
-Penguin 660R Powerhead
-Marineland LED's with moonlights
-mixed white sugar sand and aragonite bed
-Aqueon Pro 100W heater

-1/2"-3/4" ocellaris clownfish (1)
-1" azure damselfish (1)
-2" diamond watchman goby (1)
-CUC: (5) dwarf red hermits, (3) electric blue hermits

Clowns CAN host anything really, it's just a matter of will they. Clowns don't need an anemone, so I would just stock it with what YOU like rather than trying to accommodate the clown. If he hosts frogspawn, awesome. If not, you still have some cool frogspawn.

There's no guarantee that a clown will host anything, anemones included.

That's kind of why I was so excited when I heard they will sometimes host these corals. I love frogspawn and hammer corals, and wanted them anyway, and I think anemones might be more trouble than I'd like. I really would love my clownfish to host one of these corals, though. The relationship between clowns and anemones (or hopefully corals) is one of my favorite things about saltwater aquariums.

Have you looked into the perculas clown fish? I just got a couple, ill let you know if they host my frogspawn haha. I read that they are known to host more commonly though.

I already have a small ocellaris clown, and no more room in my tank. I looked at both, but since they look the same I went with the ocellaris because it was a locally tank bred fish and the price was half what the percs were. Plus I liked that I got it when it was so small, so it can grow up in my tank without ever knowing any other homes. I also got it as a pair, but sadly I lost the smaller one last week. :(

I would really love to know how it goes with your percent and the frogspawn. I think frogspawn and hammer corals are some of the the best looking reef dwellers there are. And I really love clowns.

Oh right right i remember reading that, silly me haha. Sucks about the loss of the one, i was going to get only one for my nano since i didn't want to overstock it but then i didn't want the little guy to be lonely. I am definitely at the top of the range for my stocking now though.

For what it's worth, i've always had at least one ocellaris and at least one piece of euphyllia. I've never seen them host. Sadly.

Hopefully your little guy picks up on it.

Yeah, me too. I was actually overstocked because of some impulse buys, and had to bring down my bioload to get things back into balance. Lesson learned.

Back
Top Bottom