Correct me if I am wrong….

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdnelson99

Aquarium Advice Addict

Set up my tank three weeks ago with live sand, installed live rock 2-1/2 weeks ago. Readings have been consistent ever since. Temp 79, Salinity 1.024 to 1.0245, Ph mostly around 8 (dropped a time or two), Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 and Nitrate 0.

Last night I added two cap fulls of ammonia; a couple hours later it was off the chart. Tonight’s readings, Temp 79, Salinity 1.0245, Ph mostly around 7.8, Ammonia 8, Nitrite 50 and Nitrate 10.

Here is my assumption, would love your opinions. I assume that the Live Rock I bought was very well cured (the tank had fish in it if I remember right). Because of the live rock and live sand, I never entered a cycle because I already had a good colony living in the rock and sand. Hence, I never saw ammonia spike. With no ammonia in the tank, nitrite and nitrate never showed anything. As soon as I added some ammonia the existing colony went to work and that is why I am getting the readings I am. Think that is correct?

The tank is a 35 gal with a canister filter and two power heads. Side note, a LFS told me today that the Diatom only shows up at the end of the cycle and the fact I had it more than a week ago and it is gone now is another indication my tank didn’t need to cycle. Good advice or bad? I am trying to find an LFS I trust. I didn’t think I trusted this guy but now I am wondering if he was right on the money?

Yes you're correct. You're tank was basically bought cycled. You're free to add fish now.

Thanks. That is pretty much what I thought. I will watch the levels for a few days until they drop down where they should be and then add a CUC. Are Diamand Gobys considered part of a clean up crew. LOL I love those fish. My initial plan was to start with a couple of Clowns about a week after CUC but was wondering if I could add a Diamond Goby the clean up crew? Bad idea?

Thanks, by the way, it is a 45 gal not 35. (I really need to start reading my posts before I hit "Post Quick Reply"). LOL

It looks like your tank is cycling . If it was cycled then you would not have high nitrites and ammonia. If it was truly cycled then you would not have seen the ammonis bolt up like that. We have a great article about cycling in out SW article section.

From the sounds of it I think it is cycled. If it weren't, he wouldn't go from zeros all across, add an ammonia source, and have numbers all across. The only way he could be reading nitrates is if the tank is cycled. The bacteria is existant. Even with benificial bacteria, if you add a high, instant ammonia source, you would still see ammonias, nitrites, and nitrates as the BB is trying to break it down. Do it to any "established" tank and you'll see the same results.

melosu58 said:
It looks like your tank is cycling . If it was cycled then you would not have high nitrites and ammonia. If it was truly cycled then you would not have seen the ammonis bolt up like that. We have a great article about cycling in out SW article section.

He added a bunch of ammonia and both nitrites and nitrates were present soon after so he is cycled.

Yes the nitrite and nitrates were present within 24 hrs if not sooner. On top of that, the ammonia came down substantially in 24 hrs. With a glass top, I don't think that can be from off gassing alone so something has to be ridding the tank of the ammonia. As I said, I will watch the nitrite and nitrate and take it from there. Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input.

I think your ok to add fish as soon as the amm and trites hit0,check you trates as well, if there over 20 when amm and trites are 0 the do a 30% pwc and add fish SLOWLY.

Maybe I'm missing something, but he had all 0s added some ammonia (to simulate adding a fish) and he got readings. That seems to me like he has bacteria, but not enough to be fully cycled. If he were have added fish they would have been nitrite and nitrates which would not have been good for those fish. If it is the fact that he added too much ammonia (an unrealistic bioload addition) then I'd wait until they are all zero, put a realistic amount, and if your ammonia and nitrite are still zero, then you're good to go.

nxb161 said:
Maybe I'm missing something, but he had all 0s added some ammonia (to simulate adding a fish) and he got readings. That seems to me like he has bacteria, but not enough to be fully cycled. If he were have added fish they would have been nitrite and nitrates which would not have been good for those fish. If it is the fact that he added too much ammonia (an unrealistic bioload addition) then I'd wait until they are all zero, put a realistic amount, and if your ammonia and nitrite are still zero, then you're good to go.

Yeah, he added more than 8ppm of ammonia.

even if it is cycled it never hurts to add ammonia. the more you add the stronger the bacteria colony will get to combat the larger load. this will inturn tel you add more live stock at once to your system as the bacteria colony has been established to combat the added poop and pee

Thanks all, I will keep an eye on it for a bit and maybe try another smaller dose of ammonia to see how it all reacts. I have waited this long whats a little longer right? :)

Last night I added two cap fulls of ammonia; a couple hours later it was off the chart. Tonight’s readings, Temp 79, Salinity 1.0245, Ph mostly around 7.8, Ammonia 8, Nitrite 50 and Nitrate 10.

Moving right along. 19 hours after the previous test shown above, this afternoon’s test is Temp 79, Salinity 1.0245, PH 8, Ammonia .15, Nitrite 50 and Nitrate 10. Nitrite and Nitrate seem to be staying the same, which I assume is because the BB are working hard reducing the Ammonia which has come down a ton. If I understand this all, the Nitrite should start to fall once Ammonia reaches 0.

Correct. With no more ammonia to feed the bacteria, the waste nitrite will no longer be existant.

Just did another test. Thought it would be helpful to add a table indicating the last three tests to better understand what has been happening since I dosed with ammonia.

TestTime Temp Salinity PH Ammonia Nitrite Nitrate
Start 79 1.0245 7.8 8 50 10
19 hrs later 79 1.0245 8 .15 50 10
21 hrs later 79 1.0245 7.8 .10 2.0 10

The only thing that seems funny to me is the Nitrate. Should that be coming up with the Nitrite going down?

Lets try this a different way so it is easier to read. :)

The first number is the starting point, second is after 19 hours and the third is after another 21 hours.

Temp 79, 79, 79
Salinity 1.0245, 1.0245, 1.0245
PH 7.8, 8, 7.8
Ammonia 8, .15, .10
Nitrite 50, 50, 2.0
Nitrite 10, 10, 10

Tonights reading are encouraging yet a bit of a mystery to me. Temp 80, Salinity 1.025, PH 8, Ammonia .25, Nitrite 5.0 and Nitrate 160. The nitrate is what is encouraging but what is a bit perplexing is why did the Ammonia and Nitrite climb a bit. Is it normal that they go up and down a bit before zeroing out?

Back
Top Bottom