Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2003, 10:17 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cost for Your SW Setup

This is just a discussion to show what people can expect for an initial setup cost for different types of tanks for equipment. If nothing else, it should be interesting.

Old 03-29-2003, 10:43 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

For a full blown reef, you can expect to spend $10.00 per gallon. For a standard SW tank you can expect to spend $5.00 per gallon, maybe a little less. That is speaking strictly "set up" costs.

After 8 months, I have approx $1700.00 invested in my 20 gallon reef tank. This is including all equipment, LR and animals. When I started the aquarium, I had the most expensive stuff on hand, I have invested about $700.00 in it since August.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 10:46 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Plus its not only the cost of equipment, and livestock. Ongoing expenses like electricty are a HUGE factor with full reef setups.

For example my electric bill went up about $30 a month when I brought the 80 gal tank to life.

I have no idea on costs as I dont keep track. Probably cause I dont wanna break down and cry as to how much $$$ has been spent.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 11:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think you mean $100.00 a gallon Kevin, unless you know where I can get a 20 gallon reef for $200.00

or a 2.5 gallon for under $30.00
Old 03-29-2003, 11:09 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
20 gallon reef for $200.00
Small tanks are a little more expensive, per gallon. I was thinking more along the lines of larger tanks, and the figures are approximate. If your good at DIY....It may be less.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 11:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, it still would not work, at all.

A 75 gallon tank would most likely be more than $750 dollars, right?

Lets put this into perspective.

Lets say the tank and stand is $300
Filtration system $150 (skimmer, or a wet/dry)
LR and LS $400 (with seeding and base rock)
Heaters- $40
Lighting-$400 with a canopy

Thats $1290, and I rounded it down, I understand that it isnt 100 though. I think you were closer, I win the slippery soap box award (came up with that line on my own)
Old 03-30-2003, 12:15 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
just for tank,stand,sump our cost was 1800. Then you add 1200 for lighting, 300 for live rock, 250 for substrate and you are well over 20. per gallon for the 175.
This is before any livestock. This does not include any protein skimmer, supplemental lighting for the sump, and of the circulation items you would decide to have, nor heaters etc. This was bare bones water,liverock sand and tank.

And most would say we got a pretty darn good deal on the tank/stand/sump.
Old 03-30-2003, 01:30 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to aimeovaldi
Live rock alone at 1 pound per gallon of water, substrate at app. 1.5 pounds per gallon alone would be a minimum of 6.50 per gallon. stand and tank at least 3.00 per gallon. filter, skimmer, water pumps, heater, lighting= 250.00 (or 5.00 per gallon if you go cheap for a 55 gallon tank) this does not take into account any livestock. and is FOWLR... and we are already at a minimum of 14.50 per gallon...
797.50. this does not include salt mix, ro/di water, fish, inverts, food, any needed media or upgraded lighting. I have a 5 gallon nano that I have 200.00 invested in. This is an expensive hobby any way you try to look at it!
Old 03-30-2003, 09:04 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

This is one of the reasons I started this line in FW and SW, I wanted people to see what they are getting into and what they can expect.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:56 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
This is one of the reasons I started this line in FW and SW, I wanted people to see what they are getting into and what they can expect.
hopefully it does not make people run away screaming obscentities.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com