Critters for the refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishlips12

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank is still in it;s second week of cycling and things are looking good. Ammonia and nitrates are near zero while the nitrate are still at 30ppm.
I added a refugium to my sump and placed some of the green stuff in it along with some live rock ( excuse me for the scientific discription but is it seaweed with little small balls on the end of each branch). I keep a small flourescent shining down on the refugium 24/7. I think by the end of the week I will add two damsels. The LFS said I do not have to quarantime them. Whadya think? My second question is: are there any beneficial critters that I can add to the refugium?

TIA

With live rock in your refuge ou probably already have those critters in your refuge you just might not see them yet. Worms and Pods are good for your refuge. Not much more will be overly desirable as the hole point of a refuge is to provide a space wher eyou can cultivate something with out the problem of it being eaten or prayed upon.

If you dont see very good growth outof the algae then you might need to up your light intensity. If you do this going to a reverse daylight cycle on your refuge will probably be of benifit. For example if your lights on yoru tank come on at 11am and run till 11pm then have yoru refuge come on at 11pm and off at 11am. Lighting it 24/7 could cause problems. Make sure it does not go sexual. If the algae goes sexual it can kill water quality very fast as it relases its spores.

I think algae starts to turn white when its nearing this point.

Thanks from my terrible description what kind of algae or seaweed is it that I have. I guess I should have asked the LFS but I was in a rush as usual.

Thanks I think I will take your advice and run the refuggium lights opposite to my main lights
(when I do finally turn the main lights on)

Back
Top Bottom