Crushed coral question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 125 SW FOWLR. I made the mistake I guess you would say in that I didnt research the live sand vs CC. Is there a possibility of taking small amts of the CC out and crushing it and then rinsing it and putting it back into the tank? I just dont like the idea of taking the CC out and replacing it with LS. Im afraid of a spike in my levels and since I set it up last Dec all of my levels have been perfect.....knock on wood!!
Thanks

Can you slowly add LS in to the tank while slowly taking out the CC? Or just add regular sand into the tank and slowly replace CC with it?

What I would do is take out 1/2 of the cc. replace it with sand. wait 1 month then take out the other half cc and replace it with sand.

Do I have to get LS or can I just get regualr sand? I dont really understand what I need? I get confused when I read peoples posts on here about LS and DSB, etc. I just want to minimize the shock to my tank AND end up with sand as the bed. where do you buy the sand and how much is it? What do I look for?
thanks

I would get regular sand. Just make sure it's not sicila. If you can find it, old castle or southdown tropical paly sand is perfect. No need to buy the ls from the lfs. Your bacteria will migrate from the cc to the ls. Then you can remove the other half of the cc.

But again where do I find this old castle of southdown tropical sand?? Like Lowes, Home Depot, etc.....Also do I rinse it? Does it need to sit in any SW for any length of time?? Just sounds weird to be putting regular play sand in a tank!! :lol:

Don't rinse it. just put it in the tank. I know it sounds weird but that sand is acutally the same as sold in lfs for 4 times the price. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom