Custom tank size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ncox38

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am in the process of planning a 35 gallon reef tank. It will be the footprint of a 20 gallon but the height of a 55, so it will match the 55 it will be sitting next to. A guy I work with that has a lot more experience with saltwater than i do thinks i will have problems with getting enough oxygen into the water because of the increase in depth but not surface area. He also thinks I will have problems lighting corals at the bottom. Are his concerns valid? I am planning on using a 150 watt MH pendant and a 28 watt t5 fixture. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I will agree with him on the problems you may have keeping a stable pH, due to the height of the tank. You can probably overcome this by adding a ph, near the bottom, and pointing it toward the surface.
As for the lighting, he may be correct. I believe the light doesn't become effected until around 20 inches or so. A 55 is 24inches high right? Take into account you have about 3-4 inches of sand/substrate, so you might be ok there.
As always, anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

I agree with everything roka64 mentioned. An extra powerhead will fix the circulation/pH issue. A 150 watt MH should be able to penetrate deep enough for you to keep whatever you want, just keep higher light corals near the top and lower light corals near the bottom.

So the tank is 30" long, 13" wide, & 21" tall? That's a custom size and It's got to cost more then just getting another 55. Are you limited on space? Are you using acrylic and if so do you plan to drill and use a sump?

With good water movement and open top ph shouldn't be an issue. The lighting you are planing is fine for medium light corals but not enough for high light corals or clams IMO.

I have a heavily planted 55g freshwater right next to it and they will both be sitting on the same floor joist. I didn't really want to put another 1000 pounds on the same joist. It is a custom size but I think the price is reasonable, $260
for glass, labor, overflow, drilling, and delivery.

What kind of lighting would you recommend for high light corals and clams?

the 35 gal is going to be 500+ lbs after water/lr/ect... but I understand and the price is decent.

I think a 250W MH (which costs just slightly more then 150W) would be a better option of wanting high light corals.

Back
Top Bottom