cycle over?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mwrmma

Aquarium Advice Activist
90 gallon tank with sg of 1.023. 60 lbs base rock, 45 lbs lr from foster smith, and 10 lb of rubble for the canister and hob filters, and about 4 lbs lfs lr. i put the rock in 1 1/2 weeks ago, and took my sample with me to the lfs yesterday, and he said my no3 was way too high and that the nh3 and no2 was zero. so he seemed to think that i already cycled with the "dirty lr" as he put it. i took the lr out dunked it in a bucket with my sw and did a 15 gal pwc. i tested it today and still no nh3, no2 and no3 was around 10 ppm. am i done cycling? no brown algae or bloom for that matter. any opinions?
thanks again!

It almost sounds like it but it should take longer. But the water test dont lie.

what else could produce no3? not saying it did cycle, just wondering if it could come from anything else other than a cycle?

Quick cycles are possible when well seeded. If you want to positive the cycle is done you could put shrimp in and see if your levels rise. Why did you "dunk" the rock? Did you use sw from the tank when you dunked the rock?

the guy at the lfs told me that foster smith has "dirty rock" and that i need to rinse off the "dirt" so, yes i did take about 5 gal of water from the tank 3 times and rinsed it and then added new water to replace it. what are your thoughts the cycle?

Back
Top Bottom