Cycling and Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OhTheHumanity

Aquarium Advice Activist
Shuld I be running a skimmer during cycling process?

Also, the water in the collection cup looks like coffee. I thought there would be little chunks of yuck. Am I wrong about that? WHat should the stuff in my cup look like so I know its working properly?

Shuld I be running a skimmer during cycling process?
I've seen recommendations both ways. It might help to keep the ammonia levels down thereby saving some of the life on the LR if you have any. That would be at the cost of a longer cycle time.
Also, the water in the collection cup looks like coffee.
Tea is what I've mostly heard it referred as. If you're getting coffee colored skimmate then it's working overtime. That's a good thing. There should not be any chunks. Here's a great article on how protein skimmers work.

Good luck.

If your curing your LR and you have one available, then yes I would run it, if your simply cycling a sterile tank, then no I wouldn't. Skimmers will remove particulate matter, but if it were chunky...it would clog up the skimmer.

I'm going to get some cured LR pretty quick to finish cycling my tank this 2 month and nothing stuff just isnt getting it.

Back
Top Bottom